Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Cracks on Bricks

Page 1 of 1
Hi
Build completed in Oct 2018 and I have just discovered a lot of bricks have a crack on them (more than 150 I counted).
Is it something to be worried about?
Is it something a warranty can be claimed on?
See attached photo.
TIA
Bump
Are the cracked bricks spread random all over,or is there zig zag cracks in places.

If it is zig zag then probably house is settling.
Show picture with surrounding bricks and mortar.

Thanks guys for replying...no cracks are landing into mortar but just the bricks. Almost 150 bricks....some with one line and some with double lines, but nothing into mortar.
Attaching another photo shortly
Joker
Show picture with surrounding bricks and mortar.

Joker
Are the cracked bricks spread random all over,or is there zig zag cracks in places.

They are random. No zig zag .
That's good news as it's probably nothing to do with structure or the dreaded slab heave.

Joker
That's good news as it's probably nothing to do with structure or the dreaded slab heave.

But is it normal for the bricks to crack like this?
It's not normal and doesn't effect structure,I would ask builder to look into faults with actual bricks,something may have gone wrong with the bricks manufacturing process.

Joker
It's not normal and doesn't effect structure,I would ask builder to look into faults with actual bricks,something may have gone wrong with the bricks manufacturing process.

Thats what I am thinking and wanting to claim a warranty on as build is just 5 months old.
I've got 20 years experience in the brick industry, from being a brick cleaner, brick layer to becoming the Technical Account manager for a major brick manufacturer. I've represented manufacturers and people in VCAT and written industry documents on bricks.

I've seen hundreds of issues with bricks and nothing is new to me.

Technically as per Standards and Tolerances 2007

A. Re Section F- If it cant be seen from 1.5 m in normal light the issue doesn't exist.

B. Re Section 3.01 Cracking - If the crack is less than 1mm wide its actually not considered a problem

C. Re Section G - Rectification can be taken out to match as close as possible the surrounding finishes, level and characteristics of the area to be rectified but on the understanding that exact matching may not be possible.

Basically the issue is this....

The builders bricklayer shouldn't have laid them.
Officially as per Manufacturing standards 5% of bricks delivered can be bent, broken, the wrong colour, cracked, chipped...etc etc
The manufacturer has a get out of jail free card here.
Unfortunately if you ask the builder to cut out the bricks with the hairline cracks the result may be worse.

You'll go from having a complaint about a problem you can probably barely see at the specified 1.5m in natural light, to having bricks miss match and look bad from 20 metres away.

How do I know....?

I've seen it happen and the owner is stuck with the result.

Sorry but you're best to forget the cracked bricks and enjoy your new home.
Related
30/05/2023
Rendered cladding walls cracks

General Discussion

The spacing of the studs looks pretty large especially for a load bearing wall.

2/07/2023
Cracks Where a Wall Meets the Ceiling in garage

General Discussion

It sounds like you have a crack in your garage where the wall meets the ceiling, along the shadow line on the…

4/10/2023
Mending cracks in render

General Discussion

Do you have a scope of works? If have texture on wall now, the patch will show through The standard for repair of texture is to patch, re-texture corner to corner,…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum