Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Difference in price between timber floor joists or concrete

Page 1 of 1
Hi. I'm planning on building a 2 storey home. It will be a granny self contained unit and double garage downstairs. And a 3 bedroom home on top.
It will be set on a concrete slab but the first floor I'm having a dilemma. Whether to do a concrete floor or the timber floor joists?
It's alot to do with sound for the bottom unit. But what would the price difference be?
You can also consider a hybrid solution, e.g. Speed Floor system (http://speedfloor.com.au/)
I had a situation like that in the first house I built, I had a concrete slab where the garage was, then stepped up to ground floor granny flat on timber joists. Upstairs was the rest of the family home.
For us it made no difference in cost because we were building over a sewer line so a slab under the granny flat would have needed more excavation and concrete bridge over the sewer etc, so costs were similar.
Unless you really need to, just go with slab on ground.

Related
14/08/2023
Concerns about strengh of Engineering Floor Joists

Owner Builder Forum

Thanks for all replies. I just noticed now the pictures I added to post right on top of page were wrong. I attached pictures showing "current" and my "suggested" floor…

14/01/2024
Framing on floor joists

Renovation + Home Improvement

Houses have been framed on floor joists since settlement, chipboard flooring is only around for 50 years or so, so why would it not be satisfactory? However exercise skill…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum