Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

STONE FEATURE AROUND FIREPLACE

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

We are in the middle of the construction of our house and we are wanting to put ledgestone around our fireplace box.

The builder ended up doing a gyprock wall and then put blue board over the top. I don't know why they didn't just use blue board only but guess it makes the wall stronger to withhold the weight of the stone which will be done after handover.

Annoyingly, we find out the other day that they have painted one coat of paint onto the fireplace box where we intend on installing the stone even on strict instructions from us at the start not to. They painted it with an undercoat paint called "Taubmans Ultra Prep Wall Board Sealer".

The site manager just said it should be fine and just to roughen it up by sanding it back. That to me does not sound good enough. He obviously doesn't want to pull the blue board down and start over.

My stone mason man says they might be able to do a workaround using chicken wire or mesh.

Just want to get other people's thoughts on this. If we decided not to use chicken wire or mesh as a substrate, then am I correct that the stone will more than likely not stick to the painted blue board?

Cheers
Donna
Hi Dons Welcome to the forum
Do you have details and photos to put up?
Fixing Instruction Here
Stone Craft Installation
Sorry I can't work out how to post up pictures. There does not seem to be a button that allows that.
Related
17/05/2024
Stacked stone style facade feature tile installation pricing

Building A New House

Good day everyone, I have two queries regarding stacked stone style facade feature tile installation. 1. I am looking for an installation price guide to install stacked…

18/08/2023
Tv Fireplace placement in large lounge room

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, My first post, we are building a house and can’t decide the layout of the lounge room. We have a large N/W facing window and are wanting to have a wood slow…

29/09/2023
What did this fireplace look like and restoration suggestion

General Discussion

No the fireplace doesn’t work. It’s been enclosed. I’m not sure what was removed, as it was done quite some time ago - well before what I can see with photos online…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum