Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Custom Builder (Melbourne South East)

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

Has anyone built a home in the district of Glen Eira, using a custom builder?

Regards
Yes, I used a custom builder, with volume builder set up. By that I mean the registered builder most likely never visits your site.

Glen Eira council is not a lot of fun,
if you know the rules going in, much easier time through town planning and hopefully just once!
Hi Gaudi,

Just to clarify, the custom builder you used, had an attitude of a volume builder? I think I know what you mean.

There are quite a number of KDR happening in Glen Eira. I have seen one or two custom builders who have their staff/ trades working on site, because those workers are wearing clothes with custom builder company logo... so somewhat reassuring.

I'm a small fish... but yes... knowing people helps with the whole process...
By volume builder process -
Use site supervisors to arrange trades.
Registered builder doesn’t ever visit the site
Site supervisor isn’t necessarily qualified.
May be a painter, or no trade quals.
In my experience SS was very nice, he booked trades. Didn’t have much evidence that he checked much. SS are hit and miss.

Construction manager or senior builder in construction team is not the registered builder.

Re: company logo on tops. Contracted trades change their tops on different jobs. Likely means they have used the trade before which is good. But doesn’t ensure this job will be as good as last one.
Whoever you build with get a private consultant, appoint your own building surveyor, do not use the one the building company recommends. You want them to work for you! And take lots of photos.
You can get a good build if you are vigilant, learn to understand your engineering plans and all your plans, follow along, ask questions and don’t assume knowledge and that what the builder says will be done is done. Best intentions may be present but building company staff don’t always check.

If you want PM me the KDR custom builders you are considering.
Ok, interesting re: your custom builder experience. The builder I am watching each day (mornings), they are currently working on a development near by. Their frames, window, plumbing and heating/cooling contractors come on site wearing their own gear. The actual company crew are there once or twice per week (either working together with their sub contractors or just themselves), as I sight their company vehicle parked out front. I thought you would have received a more personal and better experience with a smaller boutique builder?

So far in our development process, everyone is somewhat independent of each other. We have selected our own preferred designer, structural engineer and so forth. Leading up to picking our builder, learning, asking and researching as much info as possible. phew!
I think that’s the difference if you are talking about a ‘small’ boutique builder?

I’d describe my custom builder now as using a volume builder model in their KDR process.
They were small when i first signed on. Grew very rapidly. You can get a good product. I’d just suggest be involved and don’t assume the building staff have the knowledge or check all their trades work.

The post build service/maintenance the company I built with provided was slow but really good.

You are using your own engineer etc, getting your own drawings done..... very different to typical KDR builder/custom builder.

Ask the companies you are looking at:
How many builds are the ‘building company staff’ - site supervisors/site project managers or registered builder- are supervising at once. If they are there 2 x 1/2 days per week, doesn’t sound like it will be very many.

How many houses do the company build a year or start a month?

What involvement does the registered builder have if any?

See if you can ask some old customers what maintenance experience was? And also talk to customers currently building with them and almost finished about their build experience.
Yes, the custom builder I'm talking about is a boutique builder. We have our own preferred designer, etc. and will purely use the builder to build.
Related
27/09/2023
Custom home builder in north east Melbourne

Building A New House

Hi, can anyone recommend a custom home builder who can build in north east area? Looking to build a custom 4-br energy-efficient home with a max budget of 750k. If they…

31/03/2024
KDRB in Melbourne south east metro region - Suggestions for

Building A New House

Keen to hear from people in the area who have got KDRB done on whom they got the build from? Looking for recommendations. Thanks

6/07/2023
CUSTOM BUILDER RECOMMENDATIONS WESTERN MELBOURNE

Building A New House

Hello, we can help you please get in contact 0421019219 thank you

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum