Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Load Bearing Posts??

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys,

First post in this very helpful forum - hoping to be able to gather some useful knowledge and opinions.

My home built in circa 1969 has a concrete slab which extends out to a balcony. Purchased 2 years ago, I recently discovered that the posts that appears to be supporting the balcony are all mostly rusted through.

I am wondering if I need to be concerned - whether or not the posts were load bearing to begin with and should therefore be replaced or could be removed altogether. They don't seem to be wide enough to really be supporting any weight. The balcony has also not dropped one bit...

I have attached some images and original plans and would really appreciate thoughts - not to be relied on at all obviously and just your opinion.

Thank you in advance.

Looks like I accidentally posted an image twice - wanted to show the damage to the posts. Here it is:
If I was you I would be very concerned because the plans do not show posts but solid brick piers and because of the corrosion the posts are structurally compromised. Obviously a meaningful comment is impossible because you have not posted engineering drawings. I recommend structural engineer inspection and a report.
Superlim112
You should have got a Structural Engineers report before you purchased it
They would have advised you the structural repairs are going to be costly
Depending on the state of cracking in the slab & brickwork
First
1. See if you can track down the original engineering drawings
2. Contact a local engineer and have him do an inspection
3. Don't use the balcony in the meantime
Worse case depending on Wall & Slab Cracking it will need to be removed & replaced
StructuralBIMGuy
@Superlim112
You should have got a Structural Engineers report before you purchased it
They would have advised you the structural repairs are going to be costly
Depending on the state of cracking in the slab & brickwork
First
1. See if you can track down the original engineering drawings
2. Contact a local engineer and have him do an inspection
3. Don't use the balcony in the meantime
Worse case depending on Wall & Slab Cracking it will need to be removed & replaced

Thanks StructuralBIMGuy,

Doesn't look like the wall/slab has cracked or moved at all. Unfortunately because of the age of the house there are no drawings available - have checked with the local council.

I have organised for a structural engineer to come out, inspect and produce a report for me so I can get it rectified.

I did pay to have the house inspected and the posts were noted as "surface rust" off memory.... might have a claim there if this gets costly.

Appreciate the input - gave me the sense of urgency.
I wouldn't stress (excuse the pun) too much if you can't locate the original engineering details
Your engineer should advise you of the best way to replace the columns
Apart from the rust the columns (100 x 50) are too slender along the narrow axis (50mm)
OT..I tend to recommend 100mm SHS min, hot dipped galv, cast in lugs, etc,etc
Related
18/05/2024
structural engineer for load bearing walls / columns

Renovation + Home Improvement

just ask a carpenter/ builder, if they are unsure they will get the engineer to advise.

20/01/2024
Roof Load Width Needed

Renovation + Home Improvement

Any structural alteration to your home requires building permit. Before you get it you will have to supply plans with structural assessment, you will also be removing…

26/09/2023
Deck joist, bearer and posts

Outdoor Living

Seconded; we just used these last weekend to build a small deck. They worked perfectly as we have bluestone in the area where we wanted to build so digging down was not…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum