Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Rock Excavation guide

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

Wanted to get some advice in regards to Rock Excavation and Removal as I really have no clue about this.

First off, I had my Soil Test done a few months back and it did say there are some rocks on my lot.

My sales consultant did not put any PS for rocks. They put a rock clause on our contract charging us $240 per cubic meter and $60 per m3 for removal.

How big is 1 Cubic meter of rocks?

Last week I meet up with my Site Supervisor onsite to show the rocks excavated and still being excavated (for plumbing). He then told me that prior to our meeting, the other 2 excavators already excavated rocks (I think they are the one who prepared the initial stage of lot). He did say they sent photos to show how much rocks was removed. I asked him to ask the guy how many cubic meters was removed already.

So he called 1 of the excavators and asked how much rocks was removed and was told it was 3 truckloads, totalling to 27m3. I didnt care to ask anymore the other excavator because I was already disappointed on how much rocks was taken out prior to our meeting (If what the guy claim was true).

To cut it short. My site supervisor told me there were 2 excavations done that both hit rocks prior to our meet up. and on the day of our meeting, the plumber was there and excavating rocks as well.

1st excavator claimed he got 27m3
2nd excavator - i dint care to ask and will just wait for the invoice
3rd excavator which is plumbing - My SS says just by looking, It is 10m3.

My Lot is 640sqm. The house im building is 31 Squares Single storey. Is it possible to dig up that much rocks? How deep do they dig to get that much rocks? Sorry I have no Idea of how the excavation process is. Is it possible to say have 50 m3 of rocks on a 640sqm lot building a 31square house?

I havent received my invoice yet. i just wanted to prepare myself in case they gave me a ridiculous amount to pay.

I will post the picture soon, I just messaged my SS to send me all the photos of rocks that have been excavated.

Thank You all for the Response, This will greatly be appreciated. I just wished that my Sales Consultant put a a few thousand dollars for PS for rocks. First time build.
Hard to say without knowing how big the footings are. That’s 3 truck loads though which seems like a lot.
Hi Berek,

What do you mean footings? Ill soon post the pictures when its sent to me

Thanks
Btw, can you please give me some advice on what things should I ask the excavator when the invoice arrives? Just to give them idea that Im not clueless.

Thats 3 truckloads for 1 excavation trades. 1 from plumbing roughly 10m3 they say and 1 more from another excavator which I didnt ask how much theyve taken

Thanks mate
rockylot
It's too late now as you have accepted the quote and they have done the job.
ALWAYS CHECK SITEWORKS/EXCAVATIONS BEFORE YOU ACCEPT THE QUOTE!
goodluck
But is 40m3 to 50m3 of rocks possible? On a 640sqm lot? 31squares house?

Ta
rockylot
You haven't provided enough info to check that
Do You Have the Contour survey, geotech report, and engineering details?
Generally, if we can we put a sand pad down rather than excavate into rock?
Sand is only $25m3.. just curious..was that considered first?
BTW they should have discussed all the other options rather than select the most expensive one...Did they?
StructuralBIMGuy
@rockylot
You haven't provided enough info to check that
Do You Have the Contour survey, geotech report, and engineering details?
Generally, if we can we put a sand pad down rather than excavate into rock?
Sand is only $25m3.. just curious..was that considered first?
BTW they should have discussed all the other options rather than select the most expensive one...Did they?

Hi - just educating myself re the cost of rock excavation

Our report show rock (xw) at DCP40+

Our single story house and granny totals 24 squares. We will need drop edge beams as there is a slope.

Is ther anyway to get a price range? Just trying to figure out what is a realistic provisional allowance for this. Have a feeling builder is low balling to get the tender signed.
Related
4/08/2023
Excavation Cost Surprise

Building A New House

No one can give you a meaningful answer without looking at your building contract, what happened on site and who designed your house You should get experienced building…

5/02/2024
1st Storey addition vs Lower level excavation

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi there, We’ve recently had plans approved to add a 1st storey addition to our existing house for a growing family in Sydney. With the current cost of building…

20/04/2024
Excavation pool costs

Buying Land

We just had a pool dig and was told by our contractor the pool would need piers. They spoke to the engineer who advised the piers would need to be concrete. When the…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum