Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Builder Refused to Refund Initial Deposit

Page 1 of 1
I put $1000 deposit on house with a big ticket builder, the sales rep gave me in writing that the deposit is full refundable for 3 weeks. Today I told them that I can't build with them, as I have got a better deal elsewhere, the sales rep bluntly told me that they won't refund the money. As the refund is not possible for change of mind. I asked him if the same is written on the receipt and he did not have an answer.

If anyone have an idea how to go about getting a refund would be great.
My understanding with my research and experience with sales rep is

1. Take sales quote and put deposit . It is refundable

2. Take sales quote, ask for structural modification with couple of reviews and changes In this instance Admin fee will be charged refunding rest of amount

3. If Builder did a significant amount of effort and now I'm walking away. Builder use my money to compensate efforts

I'm not sure what exactly happened in your instance. All the best
I just had a quote from the sales rep and he gave me a few drawings, he told me that they will be able to give me a contact in 5 months, on which I said can't wait for 5 months, he told me that he will talk to his manager and get it done in 12 weeks. I told him that I want this in writing, he told me that he will get it done in 48 Hours, its been a week no response, in the meantime I met another builder and they made me a good offer and I accepted it I have not put a deposit here.

So, I talked to the first builder for refund of deposit but he said won't refund.
Had you signed any paperwork from the salesman?

Signed nothing, however just received an email from the manager, they will be refunding the deposit in 7 days.
You can always go to Small claims Court - will take time - but you will win.

They will NOT want this - or any publicity.

First - just write a nice letter - eg "While I do not want to take action via Small claims Court ... I was promised by (Name) ... etc etc ... "
devnik0202
Signed nothing, however just received an email from the manager, they will be refunding the deposit in 7 days.

I should hope so, without you signing anything they have no claim on a 'deposit' let alone asking for one

Related
1/04/2024
Custom builder or pay for own floor plan and take to builder

Building A New House

Hi Mofflepop, I would recommend finding a building designer to prepare plans, they should design to your specified budget. The benefit is you can tender the project out…

20/06/2023
Builder has not done something - can I ask for a variation f

Building A New House

I work with owner, he/she is my man on the ground and I instruct them when to visit the site and take photos and I have other tools in the bag.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum