Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Is it always better to buy Land(only) than H&L package?

Page 1 of 1
Offcourse buying land(only) gives options to choose the builder but what else pros/cons?
Home&land package pro: most of the time builders already get the plan and approval ready which usually takes 6-8 months to get. So if the lot is already registered or nearing registration, buying h&l package saves time and builder can start building straightway. In that way, if the plan is ready to build for a h&l package, youll definately save 6-12 months, also save your rent if you are renting.

However if the land they are offering is off the plan and needs many months to register anyway, then it wont save much time.

Usually house&land packages leave a big margin of profit. If you buy the land separately, you can shop around and may find a better deal.

Again buying land choosing builde, going through the process drains time and energy, many many drives and fuel cost lol!
We have a friend who bought a h&l package and bought in the same area as us (on the same street to be exact) while we bought the land and chose our builder, the price difference is almost $200K.

Yes it will be a tedious process to find the right builder but if you are on a budget then you get to choose which one you can afford.

You don't have a choice in floor plan as you buy what they are offering you. We were able to tweaked our floor plan according to our needs, eliminate things like linen cupboard make way a bigger walk in pantry, widened the sliding door leading to the along fresco for more natural light, skipping the along fresco tiling and opted for a smooth finish as can do the tiling after handover save $3k and many other things changed to suit what want.

Our friend bought their H&L package in April while we bought the land in August. They started building in January as the land only got registered in Sept while we started in April just because it took us awhile to finalise with our builder but with a difference of $200K, that couple of months of difference does not justify the difference in amount.

Also you don't have a say in the location if you buy h&l package unless they have many that can choose from. While we chose a land close to the park as we have kids and having an easy access (two houses away) to the park means alot.

At the end of the day, if money is not an issue and you want to save on the hassle of time consuming builder hunting then buying the h&l might be for you.

http://buildingourhumblehome.blogspot.com
Land Deposit - 20.08.2016
Land Registered - 27.09.2016
Land Settlement - 07.11.2016
House Deposit - 27.11.2016
House Contracts - 16.02.2017
House Build Starts - 10.04.2017
Building with Beechwood Homes
I disagree with the above post that says you don't have a choice in floor plan. We're building via a h&l and we're able to swap the default house the builder wanted on the block and make significant changes to it too and no complaints from the builder.
Related
3/05/2024
Seeking Advice: House and Land Package on Subdivision Proper

General Discussion

I'm based in Adelaide and I'm considering purchasing a house and land package from Weeks Homes. I found a deal that looks good, but there's a complication: the land isn't…

2/06/2024
House and land package Guidance

Building A New House

Hi everyone, I'm very new to the housing market and would appreciate any guidance. I have found what I think is a good land and home package. Marketed as "turnkey".…

26/04/2024
Overhead cupboard door size in Kitchen – which is better

Kitchen Corner

Bigger the better for storage for me IMO. But I guess it's harder to tell the cost/benefit in your example - mainly the 'cost'? If you go 700mm, what are you doing extra…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum