Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Shale Grey vs Surfmist

Page 1 of 1
Who would have thought picking a garage door and window frames would be so hard ?!! Or maybe I have just looked at the colours too much.

We are building a single level home. Colours so far are:

Colorbond roof - Basalt
Gutters - Basalt
Brick - mid grey

So! The big question is...... Would you do shale Grey or Surfmist for the facia, garage door and windows.

And just cause it's late and to add another dimension, surfmist is a standard window colour, but if we wanted shale grey it would cost more.

I like both options. At the moment I was leaning towards Surfmist purely as I could get all elements in that colour. Having a shale grey garage door with Surfmist Windows could easily annoy me, as they are a little too similar.

Would love to hear people's thoughts.

Photo attached is Surfmist

I'd probably use surfmist for the garage door/windows. I'm feeling far too much grey if you chose the shale grey. I would use shale grey for the fascia though.
I'd go surfmist windows and doors too. We did. With Shale grey roof and gutters. Love it

We were in same dilemma but we've gone with surfmist for Windows etc we actually went basalt for our garage door but it will be great to see how yours looks too.

I'd go surfmist for your windows to break up the grey and give your house a bit of a pop. Garage door, not as sure.. depends if you want to make it a feature.. and how to balance your facade.

I chose surfmist for my windows and garage door. I chose a light colour garage door for two reasons, 1. environment/heat and 2. the render over my master bedrooms is white, so I thought the garage door would balance on the opposite side.

Oh, in regards to fascia I prefer where the fascia and gutters are the same colour. I don't like when fascia is a different colour, like white.. but to each their own.

Here's a picture of my basalt gutters and fascia. I also have basalt drainpipes, but weren't installed till later. There's black tape on the windows, they are surfmist.

Beazley77
I'd go surfmist windows and doors too. We did. With Shale grey roof and gutters. Love it

Do you have any photos of the house with she grey roof?
We are looking at having shale grey as a roof colour with dark bricks but are having trouble finding photos to give as an idea without looking at tiny samples.

You have possibly already made your decision but hope this helps. We chose basalt roof and gutters. Surfmist fascia, garage door and render. Monument windows.

We have shale roof and gutters, surfmist windows and fascia. Looks great with a dark brick. Surfmist is white but the shale can still appear quite light / white in sun.
chrismarshall3
We have shale roof and gutters, surfmist windows and fascia. Looks great with a dark brick. Surfmist is white but the shale can still appear quite light / white in sun.

We have our colour appointment today.
We are looking at PGH Grey Stone Brick.
With a POSSIBLY Shale Grey Roof. Basalt Gutters and unsure whether to have basalt fascia or shale grey.

rocketship
You have possibly already made your decision but hope this helps. We chose basalt roof and gutters. Surfmist fascia, garage door and render. Monument windows.

Hi there. We are about to build and love ur colour choices. Are the bricks around your garage pewter?
rocketship

Hi,

Colours of this house please

Thanks
basalt roof and gutters. Surfmist fascia, garage door. Monument windows.

They are austral bricks from the industrial range. We used the dark brick (Char) for the main section and the light brick (Steel) as a feature around garage, pillars and end room.
I think they may only be available in Victoria but not entirely sure.

https://australbricks.com.au/vic/product/industrial
rocketship

They are austral bricks from the industrial range. We used the dark brick (Char) for the main section and the light brick (Steel) as a feature around garage, pillars and end room.

Thank you for your reply. πŸ™‚πŸ‘
rocketship

Love your selections

h.laurice.smith
chrismarshall3

We have our colour appointment today.
We are looking at PGH Grey Stone Brick.
With a POSSIBLY Shale Grey Roof. Basalt Gutters and unsure whether to have basalt fascia or shale grey.

Hi Laurice, I am looking at almost the same color scheme for my new build. Did you go with what you listed above and do you have a photo?
We have a basalt roof and gutter. Shale grey fascia and garage door with new driftwood grey bricks. Old driftwood grey brick looks creamish where as this new version is greyish.
If you want white look plz go for surfmist. Mistake we did was we thought surfmist will look cream so we went for shale grey. It is somewhat light grey but not anywhere near white.
MrsAJ
If you want white look plz go for surfmist. Mistake we did was we thought surfmist will look cream so we went for shale grey. It is somewhat light grey but not anywhere near white.

Thanks, do you have a photo?
Chazz
MrsAJ

Thanks, do you have a photo?

Basalt, Basalt, Shalegrey and monument windows.
Rendering paint not yet done. You can also follow my build below 😊
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=93445&start=90
Related
26/08/2023
Dover white or surfmist garage door

General Discussion

Dover white or surfmist garage door. I am having trouble choosing a garage door. The outside of house will be tranquel retreat. I want it to all blend nicely however I…

24/02/2024
Surfmist tiled roof - unsure about gutter colour

General Discussion

Thank you so much. We ended going with the terrain that’s part of our brick.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum