Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Help with living room design

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

Currently building and just need some advice on how to set up living room furniture. I have attached a pic of my layout which has an open plan living area. To the left, next to the laundry will be my dining area. I will be placing a square table here that is 1500 x 1500 with 2 chairs on each side. To the right will be the living space.

I'm a bit stuck on what seating to use for this space and how to arrange it. I want to maximize the seating space in the area, without making the space look cramped or blocking pathways. To the right of the living space are my alfresco doors, so I can't block these with an L-shaped sofa.

The theme for the space will be industrial/contemporary, but I'm struggling to find any seating that has this look that will fit comfortably into the space. Would like to seat at least 5 people if possible. Any help is appreciated.

What is the square thing in the middle between the areas? is that in the room or on the roof (sorry its hard to read some plans).
Hi TashPaul,

That is a solar panel on the roof.
I thought so... just checking first.
I guess the biggest issue is where do you want the TV? This could determine everything else. I would almost be inclined to 'swap' the meals and family so that you have a flat wall which you could have the TV on. The dining table wouldn't be too far from the kitchen.
Or you could put it on the wall, the other side of which is the WIP). The only issue there is that you may have people walking in front of it all the time as it is a walk way. hmmm...
The TV will go on the wall outside of the WIP. You're right, people can walk in front of it but I'm not bothered by this. This is how it is setup in the display home and it looks good.
I would probably go an L shaped couch but have the long side running along the middle of the space, not against the alfresco doors, but the other side. Or a 3 seater sofa at the back and two individual chairs that you can move around to suit, or a 3 seater and 2 seater couches, same set up as as the L shaped couch. If you do this, just don't buy a couch with a bigh back on it. If it has a low to medium height back then you aren't cutting off the rest of the room.

So, kind of like this:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=carl ... GU5QnSNeeM:
or this:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=carl ... 4yhySN9JrM:

Putting the couch this way can help define each area too but making a 'wall' with the couch. Anyway, just my thoughts.
I had thought about that, problem is most L-shaped couches are a bit too long on the side that would run down the middle. I don't want to block the pathway, so the side that runs down the middle can't really exceed 2300 in length, which is the length of the laundry wall. I figured this would look aesthetically pleasing and still allow enough space to walk past.
Related
22/02/2024
Living room help

Interior Decorating Lounge

Can anyone help with the layout of my living room, it seems that no matter what I do it never looks right. I have an awquard kind of l shape with 2 doors, bay window and…

14/12/2023
Dark living room

General Discussion

sorry mate, not wasting more time on this. Youve completely missed the mark on some fundamentals and regardless of how many times i try and put it to you differently, you…

22/01/2024
What are the plugs in the living room for?

General Discussion

1 is free to air and the other 2 are for cable TV all of them completely useless in 2024 >

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum