Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

What height do you wall mount your TVs?

Page 1 of 1
Howdy

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum lounge.

We're about to start building with Sterling and we need to tell the builder what height to install the TV antenna sockets and power point. There will be three TV's to mount.

The first TV will be mounted in the open plan living area. TV will be a 55" panel and we plan to sit about 3-4 meters away from it.

The second TV will be mounted in our lounge room and is likely to be no bigger than 45" or so. The room won't be that wide and we'll probably be sitting around 2.5-3 meters away from it.

The last will be in the master bedroom and when laying in bed we'll be around 3 meters away from it. It's likely to be a 32" panel and I assume we'd want to mount this one slightly higher that the one in the living room so it's easier to watch when laying in bed.

So I'm hoping some of you will have experience in this subject and I would appreciate your input.

Many thanks.
Think of where you like to sit at the movie theatres. Basically use that as your guide, basically no one wants to tilt their head uncomfortably up or down. For your bedroom, this is a bit different all I can say is make sure the mount you can get for this room has a good degree of tilt. If you mount it too high and can't tilt and the viewing angle of the TV is bad then you won't be able to see darker scenes too well.

Mid height of screen in lounge room I have is 1350mm for a 50" TV. I think any higher would be too high.

In the bedroom I have mid height of screen at 1700mm, and I think it might be better to raise it a little bit higher, or sit more upright in bed to watch it. It's a 80cm TV.

This is what I have, Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV).
So, now that you have that beautiful flat panel TV home, where exactly does it go? ... Take that length and stick a piece of tape on the wall at that same height. ...
I can't comment on your bedroom TV etc but for your main one I'd be mounting it as per several of the home theatre forum recommendations and placing the centre of the screen at your eye height when you are sitting down.

Stewie
Stewie is spot on. That is the optimal height.
I always laugh at these TV's that are above fireplaces or above taller cabinetry.
Best to wall mount above lowline cabinetry.
Related
14/06/2023
What anchor/screw to use to mount to villaboard>airgap>brick

Bathrooms and Laundry

If what you describe is correct then the brick wall has been dry lined with villa board. That basically means that the villa board is glued to the brick wall with…

30/05/2023
Replace roof, raise wall height vs extend

Renovation + Home Improvement

ok thanks - yes was wondering if that should have been listed as Option Three!

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum