Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Rendering new brick walls

Page 1 of 1
Hi

I'm getting an outdoor kitchen bricked up, wanting to render it. I've been told by a renderer that I need to wait 30 days before I get the rendering done. I've tried to search around but can't see anything that recommends a time frame around how long a bricking job needs to cure/set before it can be rendered. Does anyone have any information/experience on this?
The_Lalas
Hi

I'm getting an outdoor kitchen bricked up, wanting to render it. I've been told by a renderer that I need to wait 30 days before I get the rendering done. I've tried to search around but can't see anything that recommends a time frame around how long a bricking job needs to cure/set before it can be rendered. Does anyone have any information/experience on this?

It'll depend on a few things but that sounds too long unless the bricks were completely soaked before and during while they were laid.
There are a lot of variables...
If your bricks were dry pressed commons then they are reasonably porous and can soak up a lot of water which means they will take longer to dry out.
If it's hot weather the brick wall should dry out pretty quick.
If you don't get any rain on your bricks in the meantime that'll help too.
We used to allow roughly a week to ten days before rendering over any new brickwork internal or external ( sand and cement render ) but that used to depend on all of the above.
If you've ever watched renderers render a wall the first thing they would do in warm weather is get the hose out and give the wall a good soaking to stop their plaster mix from drying out too quick making it easier for them to work the mix and to prevent the render from cracking.

Stewie
The_Lalas
Hi

A quick Google finds this from Cement Australia...
http://www.cementaustralia.com.au/wps/w ... ts/home/di
y/GRP-general-building/rendering-brick-or-block-wall.html
Under Step 1: Preparing the surface
Quote:
Tip: If you are rendering a new brick or block wall ensure that the mortar has been cured for at least 7 days to prevent hairline cracks from appearing in your rendered surface as the mortar dries.

Stewie
Stewie D
The_Lalas
Hi

A quick Google finds this from Cement Australia...
http://www.cementaustralia.com.au/wps/w ... -wall.html
Under Step 1: Preparing the surface
Quote:
Tip: If you are rendering a new brick or block wall ensure that the mortar has been cured for at least 7 days to prevent hairline cracks from appearing in your rendered surface as the mortar dries.

Stewie

I can't edit my posts so I've fixed the link in a new post...
Wind can also be a factor for renderers, recently did a home near the beach and the wind had an impact some days.

Cheers, don't know how I didn't come across that cement australia page when I searched.
Related
24/05/2024
Wall wrap requriement for brick veneer walls with timber fra

Building A New House

Hi Sleepless Knights, NOTE THE BELOW INFORMATION IS BASED ON RECOMMENDATIONS OF OTHER PEOPLE FROM FACEBOOK GROUP WHERE I POSTED THE SAME POST. I was told by few people…

11/11/2023
Window infill/ rendering over different substrates

General Discussion

yep you need a joint, foam is easiest, will look fine once rendered with a joint.

23/03/2024
Strange noise in the walls

General Discussion

Nope, only on the inside, I've literally has my ears to the brick outside and can't hear anything. I can sort of 'reset' the noise by pressing firmly on the studs. This…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum