Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Colorbond Shale Grey for weatherboards?

Page 1 of 1
I absolutely adore the house colours below and am thinking of using them for my weatherboard Queenslander. Shale grey walls, Surfmist roof, white trim, the only difference being a glossy black front door.

I painted a sample of Colorbond shale grey on the side of the house and THINK I like it but can't work out if it has a brown tint or if it's my eyes playing tricks. I want a grey grey rather than a brown grey.

Does anyone have shale grey for their external walls and if so could they post pics so I can get more of an idea of what it's like over a large surface?

simnatped
I absolutely adore the house colours below and am thinking of using them for my weatherboard Queenslander. Shale grey walls, Surfmist roof, white trim, the only difference being a glossy black front door.

I painted a sample of Colorbond shale grey on the side of the house and THINK I like it but can't work out if it has a brown tint or if it's my eyes playing tricks. I want a grey grey rather than a brown grey.

Does anyone have shale grey for their external walls and if so could they post pics so I can get more of an idea of what it's like over a large surface?

I was considering doing shale grey for my external lining boards as well so I bought a sample pot and painted a sheet of wood and looked at it in different lights. To me it seemed to have a slight green undertone to it.

I painted my weatherboards Dulux Pensive. It has a slight mauve tint to it. It looks white when viewed from afar, grey when viewed a little closer and mauve under certain lighting conditions such as late in the day.

https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=71081&start=180

We have Shale Grey render and surfmist weatherboards. Windspray roof.

This is the southern facade, so would be brighter/lighter on another one.

What a coincidence, I was just going through that person's blog the other day, and we are also planning on painting in similar colours after seeing someone's house being painted in grey and white!

Check out dulux tranquil retreat in google images. Its similar to the shale grey above and seems to be a popular choice. I think I'm going to go with tranquil retreat with vivid white.

We are thinking of going with a navy or bright yellow door (the house I saw had a bright yellow door and looked really funky however it might be too out there).

What colour gutters are you getting?

Also I was advised against the surfmist colorbond roof by a roofing guy as it has a whitish tinge and dirt will be quite visible. He said he had to keep spraying the roof as it was so visible! So we are going to go with a shale grey colorbond roof I think!
Thanks all for the info

I had a look at Shale Grey on the Dulux Colour Atlas site and it has more green than red or blue so well spotted on the green tone!

Colorbond® Shale Grey
R Value:180
G Value: 181
B Value: 178
LRV Value:50.00

Funny I thought it looked a bit brown, I owned a hat for years and always called it my brown hat, one day my sister told me it's actually more green than brown....

Pensive is too mauve for me, but I think you've sold me on the Shale Grey with your pics Cat_Dunc. I like how it goes much darker and lighter depending on lighting conditions, and it looks like a proper true grey on your house. The Surfmist weatherboards make a really lovely combination. I'm quite surprised the roof is Windspray as it's a much darker colour than the shale grey but looks lighter in the pics, light reflection I'm guessing

Hermes, I've actually chosen to paint my kitchen in tranquil retreat, I love the colour but it's a bit light for the exterior. With the gutters I'm going to choose the same colour as the roof. At this stage I still want surfmist but interesting about the dirt showing..making me think twice now. Oh - and your yellow door idea, I was also considering it, it looks amazing with a grey exterior. My partner prefers yellow over black, so more to think about there too!
Does anyone know of a house painted in Colorbond Shale Grey in the south Brisbane region? (Or northside if not too far from the city). Would love to actually see that colour on a house in person before we go ahead with our own.
Good Day People,
Newbie here 😀

I was looking for ideas for the colour scheme to paint my weatherboard house.
I did a search and ended up here.
Looking at Half strength Shale Grey with White highlights and some smaller Night Sky Trim.
@ Millmerran, an hour West of Toowoomba. Hot, HOT and Dry.
Thank you,
Ivan
Related
17/08/2023
26 year old Colorbond roof. Repaint or replace?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Your house roof does not show rusting other than some surface rust on the flashings. In my opinion you dont need to replace or paint the roof other than treat surface rust…

21/02/2024
BOUNDARY FENCES: Timber Lapped and Capped OR Colorbond?

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all, Our boundary perimeter fences need replacing (3 sides). From everyone's experience, what would you install? Timber lapped and capped OR colorbond? Thank you.

9/04/2024
Colorbond roof can you extend its life?

General Discussion

You should pressure clean your roof first and make sure the paint you buy also is anti mould.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum