Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Solar hot water service - roof sensor

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Does anyone know if the roof sensor cable has been installed properly?

Our builder recently installed a solar hot water service onto our new home (unsure brand of hot water service) and with the roof sensor cable that is connected from the solar panel on the roof down to the hot water service unit on the ground, the roof sensor cable runs down the outside of the brick wall of our house.

However, with our previous home, the roof sensor cable runs along the inside part of the brick wall, and through a small hole near the bottom of the brick wall, comes out and is connected to the hot water service unit.

I asked the builder to fix the roof sensor cable and all he did was use cable ties to make the roof sensor cable a bit tighter to the hot water service unit so it does not flap around in the wind. It is still on the outside running down against the brick wall of our house.

Does anyone know if the builder is correct in doing this? I would have thought the roof cable sensor would be on the inside of the brick wall to our house similar to our previous home?

Cheers,
As en electrician, I've never seen it ran down the outside of the wall. I've only seen it come out of the brickwork with the water pipes. Don't know if down the outside of the wall is illegal but it's certainly not good practice.
Probably not illegal but just lazy workmanship. It should have been run down the cavity near the unit as M88 says.
Telstra is very bad at this. The number of times we've worked on peoples houses in the past and they have had cable internet connected and these clowns just run the cable up out of a pit, along a fence up a wall and then in through a vent in an external wall. They don't even blink when you question their lack of professionalism.

Stewie
Related
20/03/2024
Motion sensor for stair wall lighting

Lighting + Lighting Design

I'm curious, did they provide any reason why they did not like the idea?

16/04/2024
Help me understand this Hot Water System

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

the sun master is the solar heating to "warm" the water in the tank the S26 is your hot water system which will heat the water (25 degrees?) so with both turned on you…

6/09/2023
building a deck and gas hot water

General Discussion

I want to build a decking to the drawn shape outlined in black. The problem is how close can I build to the gas hot water unit? Will I be able to build around it and be…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum