Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Painting plaster

Page 1 of 1
How long on average is everyone who is finishing their builds currently in winter waiting from plaster to paint? I've heard 6 weeks to let the plaster dry but given it is the middle of winter is this long enough?
Also any painter recommendations in Perth central/NOR?
And any recommendations for skirting board installers?
When I built my first house (40 years ago) the recommended time was 12 months. I did not wait and had hairline cracks appear (looking a bit like crazy paving) as the plaster shrunk so I completely repainted again after 2 years.
Possibly today's paints are more flexible.
If you are talking hard set plaster on brick walls as opposed to plasterboard then yeah you should wait a fair amount of time. If the bricks at any time during your build got wet then that can take a fair while to dry out let alone all the wet mortar the brickies used then the renderers who usually give the walls a good drink before they start to render.
If it was summertime it'd be a different story.

Stewie
Related
14/07/2023
Painting Multifinish Plaster

Building A New House

Hi, Have used the Dulux 1 step, oil base on my walls(white set), out of can it’s already a more thinner product than a final coat paint Also in water base Water or…

16/11/2023
Plaster meets wood - how to fill

Building A New House

yeah i couldnt picture it issue either, but i could clearly picture what they were doing wrong haha

7/04/2024
Cathedral Ceiling, exposed beams. Insulate Kingspan plaster?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Our 6m high Cathedral ceiling has 0 insulation, just plaster, wrap and tiles as far as I can tell. Wife likes the exposed beams, I hate the $600 per month heating bill,…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum