Comparing 3 phase oven to single phase

Page 1 of 1
We're looking at two different ovens:

One has three phase power and the following electrical specs:
400-415V, 50Hz, 12.5kW, 3P+N+E, 17.4A/hr, 5 wire

And the other is single phase with the following specs:
230-240V, 1P+N+E, 50-60HZ, 4.7kW

Am I right in thinking the three phase oven uses a huge amount of power,
or does the three phase efficiency come into it ?

Thanks !
I think the first oven is a commercial oven and would be pretty big. I think both ovens are quite big. I have a commercial electric pizza oven that is about 90cmm by 90cm and that is about 5kw and its a beast. I would ask an electrician but I would think there is no efficiency play because of 3 phase, it is three phase because it is a 12.5kw draw.
Some domestic ovens have the grill function interlocked with the oven so it is either one but not both together. This arrangement reduces the maximum power draw so it can be sold to customers that only have single phase power available. It is nor necessarily related to efficiency.

The oven with the high power requirement probably has a separate grill without the interlock so every element can be used at once.
The three phase one can use a lot more power, but that doesn't necessarily make it less efficient. Higher power draw can allow it to heat up faster, so you could draw twice the power, but for half as long - costing the same total energy. If it does translate into faster heat up times, then it could actually be a bit more efficient, as the shorter time means less heat lost overall.

If you have solar photovoltaics, and the sun is out, the lower power oven could draw a higher proportion of its power from the solar panels.
What brand of oven is the 1st one? 3 phase is mainly used for resturants or take away shops. The elements heat up quick because they will be over 1000w and use a deal of power to do so.

When i got no time to sit at the computer. I use tapatalk.
Both are commercial ovens, made by Turbofan. Neither have a grill function.
Related
5/12/2023
Frustration during Construction Phase

Building A New House

sorry wrong thread - deleted my post

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

30/12/2023
Identification of Oven Make and Model

Kitchen Appliances

Hi Chippy, no there isn't, gave it a really good look through and literally opened everything and checked all edges as well. Hence the question, just hoping someone would…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum