Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

PLEASE help me decide on facade & eaves!! (PICS)

Page 1 of 2
Please see my post on page 2 for the pics and options!

--------------
Eaves are driving me crazy!

I can't decide what to do. I can't afford eaves all round the house. So these are the options I am thinking of:

- No eaves
- Eave around front porch only
- Eave to porch and master bedroom wall only (cuts off on edge)
- Eave to porch and master bedroom wall only (but extends 1-2m down the side of the house) - this may not be possible due to boundary
- Eave to garage, porch and master bedroom wall only

What would you do? Will you build without eaves? Would you buy a house without eaves? I've looked at lots of different houses, and I still can't decide. I wish I could have them all around.

I'm more concerned with how the house will look, I know there will be no protection from the small eave I am looking at getting.

Has anyone got pictures of any of the above options on a similar single story facade as per below?

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b439/Aloenyx/facadehampton.jpg
In our climate eaves are important for protection from sun and rain. 450mm minimum in my opinion to offer decent protection. Are you sure you can't do eaves and forgo some other cost that may be added after handover? Some things you can do after handover but eaves are not one of them. My post may not help you very much, for that I am sorry.
Totally understand where you come from, unfortunately boundary is an issue.

Its weird to me, I just assumed all houses had eaves! It will cost about 3.5k to add them all around. But no houses in the new estates down here have them. It's hard to find a house with them. It's odd.
Where will you be permitted to do eaves then to remain within your permitted building envelope then? My 450mm eaves all round came in at $1720 but were clipped due to lighting I believe over a bedroom and theatre room.
The most important side of the house for shading is the north side. I installed a 450mm shade pergola on my last house which worked well.
bashworth
The most important side of the house for shading is the north side. I installed a 450mm shade pergola on my last house which worked well.

Hi bashworth, you may be able to clarify why I apparently needed to have my 450mm eaves clipped on the south side over my Theatre room and bedroom? The only habitable rooms on south side of house?
I have other shading plans for my north facing rooms, just the two bedrooms.

I'm more asking about whether you like the look of a house without eaves on the front?

I can't decide if I should just not have them if I can't have them across the whole front.
We have eaves all around our house except the garage. It is a fairly normal and standard look with eaves on the front room and porch but not the garage. The porch will look nicer with eaves than without...just gives more interest.
Garage- no eaves
Porch- eaves
Front room- eaves if they go around the corner of the house. Might look weird if it's only eaves on the front portion but then no eaves down the side?
That's exactly what I was planning, eave over porch and bedroom wall, extending down the side a little (plus provides a little protection to the meter box) and none over the garage. But my plans have come back with it cutting off on the bedroom side, and showing eaves over the garage. Oo; The garage I don't mind having, just for consistency. But if it can't go down the side of the bedroom, tempted to just have eaves on the porch.. or not at all.
goody59
bashworth

Hi bashworth, you may be able to clarify why I apparently needed to have my 450mm eaves clipped on the south side over my Theatre room and bedroom? The only habitable rooms on south side of house?

Could be to meet the 'Rescode' if the window is close to a wall or fence, for instance check page 15 of the document at the following link:
http://www.dtpli.vic.gov.au/__data/asse ... e-2014.pdf
It is so hard to find photos with different eave styles. I do not recommend googling eaves...so many spider pictures!
aloenyx
It is so hard to find photos with different eave styles. I do not recommend googling eaves...so many spider pictures!

I will take your word for it. LOL
You could try searches like this:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=faca ... u&tbm=isch

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=faca ... u&tbm=isch

They tend to be 3d renders, but may be useful for comparison.
My house now has eaves on every side bar the front (which is south facing). It didn't stop me buying it. In fact never thought about it to be honest. By the time I render the front it would look quite good without them!

Good to know some people don't mind without eaves!
The lack of eaves is merely a cost/time reducing factor on behalf of architects and builders. Personally l like the added appeal/ of eaves.
The presence/lack of eaves also represents a style. Some people prefer the look without eaves. It's a bit more fortress-like.
I agree that some house designs need the "No eave" look. When it comes down to practical building design for climate, shading for protection from rain and sun eaves will work very well but I acknowledge that there are other methods of achieving this outcome. I personally like the look of eaves and know that they work like wearing a broad rimmed hat. Cost and building envelope also come into play as per the op original post issue.
I like the idea that without eaves..spiders can't hide up under my roof. I really hate spiders! When I look at my current house, the eaves are all old and unpainted, covered in cobwebs, they just don't look appealing at all.

But overall, I like the look of eaves on a house.

My main problem is I can't decide if I can live with the eave cutting off on the bedroom corner. I can live with no eave all around or over the garage, and I can live with eave to porch and bedroom wall only. It's this one corner that I can't decide on, and no matter how hard I search I cannot find a picture of a house with this look.

Most houses like the above, have the eave going around the bedroom corner at least 1 - 2m, which I don't mind. Wish my builder could confirm if that was possible.
We're having eaves everywhere except the garage, as we don't need them there and it's a cost-saving measure. Plus I thought it looked better. Due to the changing angle of the sun between summer and winter, eaves provide good protection in summer while allowing the sun in during winter.
Related
28/01/2024
Need urgent help regarding facade colour combination please

Building A New House

Thank you @. Tried to play with the facade models but the exact colour is not matching up.

3/12/2023
How much damage to a house before insurance decide to settle

General Discussion

I thought this would be a popular question but I haven't been able to find any similar posts. Perhaps I'm wording my searches wrong? When you have car insurance and the…

7/07/2023
Mounting wireless camera under eaves

General Discussion

Update from me! Couldn't find the trimmer - not sure if there isn't one simply because the eave is so narrow. Went ahead with the spring toggles and it all worked out…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum