Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Does anyone have a roof pitch higher than 30 degrees?

Page 1 of 1
The house we are looking to build will have a higher than normal roof pitch of somewhere between 30 and 40 degrees. Does anyone have a house with a roof pitch in that range and is willing to share some pictures? Thanks so much
This was on my wishlist, sadly - most project builders stick to standard 22° here in WA.
I live in a ~115 year old cottage with ~45° roofs - very scary climbing up there (I invested in the roofers official shoe - dunlop volleys) and bear in mind that this might be above the ideal angle for solar panels if you are considering these. Ill get some pics for you tomorrow and another home around the corner that I really like with steep roofs.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it
OK - went for a little walk around my house. I live in an old suburb with mostly californian bungalows and federation style homes - there are a lot more steep roofs that I had initially thought.
There are a few modern ones around too which seem to go the steep roof. Personally, I like it.
Modern examples:

And classic examples:

this one next to a flatter roofed neighbour for comparison

Thank you so much! We are definitely going for a more classic homestead look than a modern exterior as we live in a rural area. I guess we just need to find the balance where the roof is high but doesn't overwhelm the rest of the house and that's why I need to see these sorts of examples to get my head around it! Thanks again.
Tristanium
This was on my wishlist, sadly - most project builders stick to standard 22° here in WA.

As they do everywhere. There is no point to having a high pitched roof, except aesthetics maybe. ITs basically a waste of building time and materials.
If like Tristanium you lived in an older suburb, then the council may make you have a roof pitch to match neighbouring properties. Two local councils here have that policy. The upside also is that if the footprint of your house is relatively big then you will end up with a largish area inside the roof space. Ideal for an attic, storage or a home office etc. Dormer windows to these would also add to the overall appeal of some of those shown above.
You would of course have to have strengthened ceiling joists and possible council approval to allow for this.
Just something else to consider.

Stewie
qebtel
Tristanium

As they do everywhere. There is no point to having a high pitched roof, except aesthetics maybe. ITs basically a waste of building time and materials.

I am fully aware that it costs more and there is an element of wasted space but I look the look of it and we live in outback NSW with neighbours many acres away so it shouldn't bother anyone else what we do with our home.
It sounds like you could be reliant on harvested water for potable use.

Just be aware that steep rooves are also subject to roof slope factoring that allows for wind driven rain when determining gutter cross sectional areas and downpipe sizes. For example, a 30 degree slope is subject to a roof area multiplier of 1.29 and a 40 degree slope has a multiplier of 1.42. If this isn't correctly done, then you could have gutter overflow problems that result in lost yield during wind driven heavy rain events.
Just beware that the current timber framing code only goes up to 34 degrees, after which it has to be engineered, so there will be quite a cost difference. Generally the 2 reasons people choose to go over is the following. 1) they are after a certain look in terms of what the house will look like and b) more storage space. If it is for the later, you will need a note on the plans as many truss bottom chords are only designed to hold the ceiling lining and not a pile of gear that you may intend to place inside the roof space.
Related
17/07/2023
Skillion Roof Pitch

General Discussion

Why don't you call and talk with someone at the town planning in your council?

17/09/2023
Structural Issue - DPC Higher than finished floor level

Building A New House

interesting situation what happened after builder issued final invoice? did you list as defect or not does the building surveyor have any responsibility? ie. issuing…

27/06/2023
Alfresco pitch

Building A New House

Hello! I've alfresco pitch of 3 degrees sitting just below the highlight window. Need advice on below: 1. Will the 3 degree pitch be ok to drain the rain water? The roof…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum