Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Glass balcony facade a good idea????

Page 1 of 1
Hi, was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on upgrading facade to include a glass balcony??? Did you do this?? Are you glad you did??? Does it make the room attached too hot??? Is it hard to keep clean?? Really can't decide whether we should upgrade facade or not? Help!!! Thanks
I haven't done it or considered it, because of the perceived negatives. But maybe if you way up the pros and cons yourself.

Here's my thoughts which might help you decide.

PROS:
Look (?) though not my personal taste.
Others?

CONS:
Dirt eg. dust, rain water marks, dust + rain, road grime/pollution. Yes definitely would be a constant chore. And hard to clean the outside edge.
Lost privacy. You couldn't sit there with a skirt on without worrying someone would be peeking. Also less protection from eyeballs into your bedroom.
The 'empty, hollow space' look.

A metal railing/balustrade is an option which seems to be a good balance between solid and transparent. Without the maintenance issues. But its your choice, if you love the look and the cons don't bother you, do it
I don't know what the usual material is for wire balustrade but our last one rusted. I was wondering if marine grade stainless steel would be an option.
Related
18/07/2023
Facade with Balcony or Sunroom

Building A New House

Well you won't get cooked by the afternoon sun when sitting out on the balcony on a summers afternoon but you won't have much to look at besides the neighbours…

26/01/2024
Ensuite window on facade:is opaque glass mandatory?

Windows & Doors

ecoeco. tried to send a PM to you but it just sits in my outbox. Can you PM me?

9/07/2023
Multipurpose lounge with balcony

Building A New House

First time building 2 storey home in NSW. Below Current plan have separate balcony. But thinking to do a multipurpose lounge with balcony (kind of sunroom) in first floor…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum