Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

LvL grades

Page 1 of 1
Hello All,

Trying to get my head around the lvl grades and terms.
So does anyone have anything on the different grades , 13 , 15 , 17+, such as the hyspan
and or even the smartframe products

Ty
wobbly1
You should do a google search for the manufacturers of these. Once on their site I'm sure you'd find a pdf that gives you all the specs and installation tips etc. Bear in mind that there are no grades as such as they all are designed with their own stress grades and stiffness in mind

Stewie
Ty Stewie D,

Even the main players are a little light on their own specs for the grades of lvl.
such as the hys-an guys and the r-d alert as suppliers of ewp (lvl)
so still none the wiser as to their stress grade ratings and if they are a corresponding standard or in-house spec.

ty
wobbly
The best way is to find a timber related grade. If you compare what an F5 200 x 50 will span by looking at a set of span tables then compare that with one of the LVL's you mention I'm sure you'd be able to compare like for like.
Timber yards often have fact sheets about these products as well or talk to someone in their office about how to compare them. I'm sure they get asked all the time both from tradies and the general public.

Stewie
Ok have emailed some manufacturers , but yet to hear back.
Have been noticing some products are stamped E13 - F14 stiffness.
So am starting to think they (suppliers) manufactur to the highest load rating for the size / cross section of beam.

So its ongoing at the mo
lvl 13 , 15 , 17 more grades found

hyspan , hyspan+

smart frame red alert is also another supplier

So whats it all mean? as in stress grades say compared to mgp10
Hi All,
Seems i could have found some way or means of cross referencing the lvl grades.
From
AS 1720.1 - 2010
Appendix H ,table H 3.1 Characteristic Values for Design MGP10 12 15 17 and Stress grade A17.

If in the case of Say the CHH products also known as H-yspan. From their brochure the modulus of elasticity and rigidity values given, correspond to the equivalent of approx somewhere between MGP13 and MGP15.So at least now we can define it structural properties for input into span tables confidently.
As always joint groups and timber species still apply.
But the easy answer to it is;-
Lvl 13 = mgp13
LvL15 = mgp15 and so on.

Any thoughts? its just peace of mind if queried in the future.

Ty
wobbly
Related
You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum