Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

ideas needed for design style

Page 1 of 1
Hello Guys,

Thanks for providing us your inputs on our other posts on this forum. We are first home buyer, so really appreciate your further inputs
As of now we have called few bathroom renovators from ServiceSeeking and waiting for their quotes.

Now we are thinking about what color, type of tile, what kinda vanity, bath, screen etc we should get. Having really less idea about this we need your inputs. Only thing we have decided for now is to go with a frame less shower - but from where to buy - how much it would cost etc -no idea
Likewise, What type of vanity, bath, toilet, light to get is big thing to look ahead. We understand it really depends on ones budget but wondering if you guys can give is some rough idea.

Anna and Glen
Anna and Glen it depends - are you renovating an existing place? Is it a total gut and refit or are you keeping some elements that will drive your style? Do you have somewhat capable trade skills and will try to do some of it yourself or is it going to be all paid external trade work?

I think a good idea would be to get onto something like Pinterest or Houzz and find pictures of places that you like, create a pinboard (pinterest) of them and write what you like about each picture. Start to build a design file for your home full of images that reflect the style that is yours. There's no point me telling you that a wall hung white and steel bathroom vanity is best if you don't want to sweep under it and prefer a federation style.....

Once you've worked out what is your sort of style then think of your friends homes... do any of your friends have either a home that is similarly styled (and what ideas can you lift from them) or a house that is very differently styled but really well done (and can you invite them over and pick their brains for your place now you know what you sort of want).

If you just want personal opinions - we've gone fairly simple - plain white tiles on the walls (200x600) and lightish grey tiles (200x200) with a white wall hung vanity and simple frameless shower screens and a simple but longer than standard white tub. We put more effort into deciding HOW the bathroom should flow, what where... I am putting the Andy Warhol tile (google it - it's amazing) in as the splashback in the kid's bathroom but that's the only 'design feature' and then I just plan to have some fun - I'll paint a huge octopus climbing out of their bath, paint, towels etc can add the colour and be changed easily... tiles less so, baths and vanities we're doing safe and predictable.
Hi guys, you may be able to do a glass-less shower if you have enough space. We did this in our ensuite bathroom. No cleaning glass, yay!

Our nib wall is 1600 high. If you want a step in, you need to recess the floor cos the run off needs to be steeper to prevent splash out. A brick hob is necessary where you can't alter the floor level more than the normal allowance for fall.

Here's another example with recess and hob:

There are plenty of other examples on line. Food for thought?
I think Pinterest or Houzz are great places to start to get an idea file going. I also trawl realestate.com.au to get more ideas on design & styles etc. I've also got a hard copy design book of pages taken from magazines also!

I'm then going to search the net for similar looking products to find something within the right price point.
100% agree with the above - start by creating ideabooks/boards on Houzz and Pinterest and use them for inspiration.

I don't know what type of layout and how extreme you're going with renovations, but as TSC mentioned you could try going for a walkin/no glass shower. We have one in our ensuite (but with a 3/4 wall so we didn't have to have a light in the shower) and it's the best thing ever.

If you need to go with screens, you'll need to check out glass/glazing companies. I don't know where you're located, but Stegbar and Bradnams are two of the biggest around here. There's also a few local companies, so I'd suggest looking into that in your area too. They should be able to quote you off a plan or if you can tell them the sizing you need; they come out and measure just after the tiles have been laid.

We love our wall-hung vanities - however keep in mind, if you're plumbing is set up for vanities with a kick, it can be a pretty big hassle to change to wall-hung. Again, will depend what's already in place and how extreme you're going

Once you've got a few images to work off, you need to find items similar to what you've found. Try Mitre 10 and Bunnings for vanities, as well as plumbing shops like Reece. If it's something very specific, you may have to get a cabinetmaker to do it (you'd just have to find the basins you want). I've noticed Reece have a pretty good selection of vanities where you can change the colours and stuff though. They have a really good website you can use to find those as well as your tapware, with prices and everything.

Then take your picture into a tile shop and see what you can find. Remember that what you've found are 'inspiration' pics - you'll probably never match them exactly but you can use them to create your own amazing space
Related
5/02/2024
Provincial style hone external colours

Building A New House

The Dulux colour consultants are awesome. If you show them the photos they should be able to figure it out for you straight away

17/05/2024
Stacked stone style facade feature tile installation pricing

Building A New House

Good day everyone, I have two queries regarding stacked stone style facade feature tile installation. 1. I am looking for an installation price guide to install stacked…

20/07/2023
Gable Extension Ideas and Question?

General Discussion

I would say both styles you have pictured are steel. The lower chord of the first pic would be a massive lump if made using timber considering the size of the rafters. If…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum