Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

4th bedroom + study vs rumpus

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,
Building my first home. As per my home plan at the moment I have following finessed:

3 bedrooms (quite spacious), family (5x4), formal lounge (3.25x4.5), alfresco (3.7x3.7) ensuite, bath, powder, butlers p.

Considering between 4th bed and study vs rumpus (6x4).

In terms of resale value what would you rather?

Its new estate with mix of 3bed or 4 bed houses.

thanks
The more bedrooms the higher the resale value.
Seeing as you already have 2 living areas I'd go the 4th bed/study option.
4th bedroom
4th bedroom is definately the best option and even more so as you already have a formal lounge and family room.

At resell in a few years (if you resell), your new estate will have many 3 and 4 BDR homes and you want to be at the 4BDR end. Experience indicate 4 bedrooms will return a greater figure.
Thanks you everyone for your response. Will go with 4 bed option
webjockey
Considering between 4th bed and study vs rumpus (6x4).

Looks as if your description was interpretted as bedroom/study but I note you said 4th bed AND study, so two rooms?
Things like rumpus, butlers pantry, powder room, are extras which are nice to have in a 4+ bedroom house but potentially OTT in a 3 bedroom house. I reckon start with 4 bedrooms and then add whichever extras are affordable and important to you, rather than starting with 3 bedrooms and adding lots of extras, so I agree with your decision to go the 4 bedroom option.
heres the link to both palns. these are not final plans but very very raw skecthes I would say. dimesions will change but core will remain same.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/3ukthhr3rgnid6g/XzP4km6uzW

with 4 bed option it will have proper powder room and study. I am not happy with windows locations in family, any ideas are more than welcome
Ca6leguy
The more bedrooms the higher the resale value.

I designed the upper floor of my house with this in mind. There are two areas I could convert into a 5th bedroom, whilst still leaving a living area upstairs.

Also try and make the bedrooms a generous size.

A large kitchen and storage space are also good for resale. Storage space also scores points. I ensured 3 of the 4 bedrooms have walk-in robes. I also have a walk-in-linen.
I can't see why you couldn't have a powder room in the 3 bed if you wanted?
But the huge pantry and huge rumpus look OTT on the 3 bed plan. What don't you like about the family room windows, can you describe why? Btw which direction do they face?
webjockey
heres the link to both palns. these are not final plans but very very raw skecthes I would say. dimesions will change but core will remain same.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/3ukthhr3rgnid6g/XzP4km6uzW

with 4 bed option it will have proper powder room and study. I am not happy with windows locations in family, any ideas are more than welcome

I think you should add a small wall-mounted basin to the powder room.

Ensure the width of the fridge space is enough for a double-door fridge ( also consider having plumbing put in for water to the fridge ).
I tend to err towards the overall layout of the 4 bedrooms. I prefer the fridge in the kitchen area as opposed to in the pantry (I think you need to access the fridge too much for it to be tucked in the pantry, but that's just me). And I like that you have a study nook and I like the open feel of the meals/family.

I do agree that having an allocated meals, family, rumpus and lounge for a 3 bedroom house does seem a bit of overkill.

But.... on the other hand, we have 3 bedrooms and we have two (not large) living areas. With small kids (and even as they get older) I have often thought that we could do with a play room/spare room for guests/study. So maybe you could go with the 3 bedroom option and use the rumpus room to swing between whatever is needed at the time (ie playroom, study, guest room) or combination.

As long as you have enough living area in the family room as that is where you will probably hang out the most. And, keep in mind, that the lounge up the front will hardly get used unless you make a point of using it. So this could be the rumpus room also - or the winter tv/theatre/family room.

Either way, I think you have some good plans to work with. And ultimately, I think you should go with what will work for you and your family - not what will work for resale. But that's just me.

Oh, and something else to keep in mind. The study nook is great - but it will get messy and a place to dump things - so think about whether you want that in full sight.

If you went with the 3 bedroom plan, maybe don't have a window/sliding door opening out to alfresco (I baulk when I see houses that have the 3rd bedroom opening to outside - only because it is usually a kids room and therefore either keeps them awake if you are entertaining, or external access bothers me. 4th bedroom - not so much an issue). Anyway, so if 3 bedrooms, maybe extend the alfresco down a bit (into the rumpus - maybe full lenght) and keep that internal bit as the study/play room??

Good luck.

HHCIB
I prefer the feel of the 4 bedroom home too.
The family room window location will depend on where you plan on putting lounges, tv and dining table really as well as. Other furniture which may go against walls such as buffets etc. once you have come up with a furniture layout you will be able to reassess where the windows should go.
If it was me I would switch the powder room door so that it swings into the wall and not in front of the basin. Much more convenient for someone who just wants to wash their hands and not go to the loo if that makes sense.
Sorry for late response guys.
The final plan will have elements of both the plans. I will share the sketch when i get it. Bath, laundry, bed2, powder will be bigger than what these are now.
Will be changing layout of powder room. And if i go with 4bed option, study will not be open, it will be small room.
pantry is big for wip but its because i will change it into butlers pantry after handover.
Will share some sketch about furniture location tomorrow.
heres link to new sketch. there will be minor improvements in 3rd sketch.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/yf5z9rqvc5k61r7/gKW8RSJCkc
Heres how the final sketch will look like

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1geic5un40jv8f/refined.JPG
I think the plan looks good, but is the lounge 3080 wide, isn't that quite thin?
webjockey
Heres how the final sketch will look like

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1geic5un40jv8f/refined.JPG

It looks pretty nice. Good luck!
Related
12/12/2023
Rumpus conversion to a master with ensuite

Renovation + Home Improvement

From the information posted it looks to me your rumpus room is nothing more than extended garage. That will present a number of challenges. Single brick wall between…

30/06/2023
Bedroom Windows

Building A New House

Hi, I'm planning to build a new house and wanted to get some feedback on the different window designs for a master bedroom. Our bedroom is north facing and the bed will…

17/08/2023
Carpet in the bedroom vs Tiles vs Hybrid Flooring

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi Yash, Have you made a decision yet?

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum