Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

South Facing Deck-Modwood

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

Wondering if any special considerations would be made to building a timber deck facing south? As the south side would be colder and get the least amount of sun, would it attract mould, rot and dampness?
Reason im asking is the builder is leaning towards Modwood, the wood/plastic decking that apparently doesn't warp,twist,rot,etc. but it does fade a shade or two then remains that colour. I heard it scratches very easily and is pretty hot on the foot in summer

Im keen for a hardwood (maybe blackbutt) timber deck but not too big on sealing it every 12 months, anyone experience the same issue on the south side?
Depends where you are,
dampness isn't a problem in QLD for eg.

Use real timber, I cant stand that modwood and other similar products. It looks crap, and is a pain to install

If you are worried about rot then what about the timber joists? That's where it rots first.
Ive pulled up heaps of rotted landings etc and the boards are still solid, its the tops of the joists that go first
Related
1/06/2024
South facing garden - growing grass

Landscape & Garden Design

Help!! I’m meant to start building soon and have only really just learnt about orientation. Im reading so much that no grass will grow on the heavily shaded south…

7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House

The warning is on the sticker on the door too. Second the aluminium powdercoat

6/12/2023
Skylight facing west, sufficient light in mornings?

General Discussion

It might be a bit darker in the mornings but the light is still light, so you should be getting it. Similar to what you see from your western windows

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum