Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Bessa Block balustrade restoration HELP!

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
I'm looking to either demolish this block wall balustrade and start from scratch OR fix it up.

Its only 600mm high, so from my research it needs to be 1000mm high?

Money is tight, so i'd like to get some opinions on how to add 400mm to this existing wall and fix it up a little.

The wall is old, needs to be reinforced in a couple of spots, apart from that its in OK shape.

I've priced up all new glass, wire ballustrade, Timer, steel, Stainless mesh panels for vines to grow through etc etc. and nothing is going to be cheap doing 36m of any type.

Just wondering if anyone else had some ideas for a restoration/renovation of this wall OR a more cost effective new compliant balustrade?
Cheers

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-gymea+bay-113431567
Those type of walls are dangerous as a balustrade and not worth keeping or repairing. There is no reinforcing in them and they rely solely on the bond of the sand/cement mortar to hold them all together.
Once you have a small crack in one of the blocks or the mortar the whole wall is compromised.

Stewie
Related
26/06/2023
Restoration of old cupboard

General Discussion

Hi I bought an old cupboard that is in desperate need of some TLC. I was seeking some advice as to the best product to use to give it an oil but also bring it to life a…

29/09/2023
What did this fireplace look like and restoration suggestion

General Discussion

No the fireplace doesn’t work. It’s been enclosed. I’m not sure what was removed, as it was done quite some time ago - well before what I can see with photos online…

3/12/2023
Flood zone block - 1 in 100year

General Discussion

Yes it had a house on it. But Melbourne water only wanted something the original size of the existing house. We managed to fit a 45sq house on.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum