Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Difference in quality of blinds

Page 1 of 1
Hi,does anyone know if there is much difference in quality of the same type of blind e.g basswood or faux wood between suppliers e.g spotlight versus someone like luxaflux,I know there are probably so many different brands. I'm wondering if they are all pretty much the same,thanks
We just did our home throughout after getting about 6 quotes and found that there wasnt much difference in the quality provided of material and fittings. We ended up with Blind Factory. Had one of the best prices and the best warranty condidtions.

We had installed double roller blinds, think it ended up close to $4,000 mark all up including verticals for the sliding doors.
When we built our last home we bought faux wood blinds which, unfortunately, bowed. I would be a little wary of buying them again.
I did a short stint in a blinds shop, (i cant really name names) but the custom made blinds which were about double or more of the price of the pre-made ones did have a far better mechanical system made of higher quality materials. We had bowing with the timber blinds sold and the faux wood blinds were easier to clean and were less susceptible to weather so they were popular. The roller blinds and the sliders (custom made) were the product people had the least hassles with and that looked the best by far! It was worth paying the extra to get exactly what you wanted and to reduce the risk of having to not only buy them all again but fit them too!
Not sure how mch this helps, we had some plantation shutters done in around 2009/2010 from memory, we had the basswood ones in the bedrooms and lounge and the (basically plastic) ones in the kitchen. As an ex owner of a picture framing business I was very concerned with the plastic one but was assured they were a necessity in the kitchen. When installed it looked great, the finish that is applied to all of them is pretty much the same, just a smooth white finish and you literally could not tell the difference between the plastic and wooden ones just by looking at them but the plastic ones aren't as nice to the touch and feel too light. Over that time any few drops of rain that touched the wood ones would make them swell as the bottom was not properly sealed as the other surfaces were and this would lead to some chipping and visible swelling, the ones in the kitchen never suffered any of this and if I were to do them again I would definately go for the plastic ones all through the house.
Thanks so much for all your replys,you've been very helpful
Related
2/05/2024
Ceiling Joist/s Timber quality Question

General Discussion

It's MGP 10 which means every length has been machine graded to it's specified engineered strength. It may not look pretty and if you where hand picking your timbers you…

29/10/2023
Outdoor Blinds for Pergola

Outdoor Living

About a year ago, I embarked on a DIY project to construct an outdoor Pergola, which measures approximately 5.2 meters by 4.0…

28/05/2024
Question about motorised roller blinds

Window Furnishings

Actually kind of agreed with the first comment. Felt like it is a bit too much adding both double roller blinds with sheers, but it is not uncommon to do this - it…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum