Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Raising Queenslander which is already built under

Page 1 of 1
Has anyone raised a Queenslander that was previously built in? Current head height is too low and needs to be raised 0.5m. Can this be done and not demolish all walls?
have a look at https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=475
Unfortunately we have already built in under the house - with walls for new laundry,sliding doors for rumpus, study, etc. At the time we couldn't afford to raise the house - big mistake, false economy. [probably have to start from scratch, that is demolish all downstairs, raise the house and start again. Would like to hear from anyone that has had to do that.
I can't see how it would be possible to lift a house without demolishing the ceiling and most if not all of the walls. When our house was lifted they ran a few big beams underneath the full length o the house, and then lifted those with hydraulic jacks. Your existing ceiling and walls are going to get in the way.

The other problem you might run into is approvals. The inspector will want to inspect the footings before the slab goes in, and the frames before the cladding goes on, which would be a bit hard in your case. Is your existing work approved? I suspect not, if there is insufficient height.

Starting again is probably going to be cheaper than trying to work around what you have.
Related
8/11/2023
Extending already approved patio

Renovation + Home Improvement

If your patio is going to be 35 sqm then that's going to need Council Approval. The fact that they previously approved your 25sqm patio will be irelevant

12/06/2023
Driveway works under a CDC

Renovation + Home Improvement

I want to build a bigger driveway (without a nature strip) than has been approved under my CDC. I’ve also had a DA approved to build a deck. It looks like I can do this…

22/06/2023
Joists under shower tray

General Discussion

Hi All, about to commence a bathroom renovation and need some advice on subfloor works. Current subfloor is hardwood T&G floorboards on 90x45 joists, but intention is to…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum