Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

basement is cold in the summer and warm on the upper level .

Page 1 of 1
hi guys . .

I just finished my basement to have a home studio in there . . .

But I noticed that my basement seems to be a little cold than the upstairs .. .

I live in a bunglow . . All room on 1 level and then there is the basement. So 2 levels. ..

Now, it's summer here (Toronto) and it's about 28C outside . . . My main floor is all nice and warm and when I go down to the basement, it is a bit cold there. . . Not so cold that you need a jacket, but it's a bit cold, and when I touch the walls, there are a bit cold too and there is also a smell down there. I checked for mold, but I don't see anything. . .

Now, why is that my uppper level is nice and warm and my basement is cold in the summer time. . because of this, some of my pannelings are coming off from the wall. . .

I was thinking of getting a dehumidifier and putting it down in the basement. Will that help me or I'm not getting some type of circulation or breathing in the basement ..

O ya, the walls are drywalled with 3" safe and sound insulation and so is the celing with the same thing. My floors are laminated flooring .. . . I have 4 windows in the basement and 4 rooms in the basement. Even with the windows open, it's still a bit cold and the smell is there too ..

thanks.
Mate, most of us are in temperate climate Australia and 1 in 1000 would even have a basement!

You may struggle on this forum to get some decent feedback....would if we could!
Related
27/12/2023
‘Basement’ waterproofing bare bricks

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

to do it properly you need to dig out the garden and waterproof the outside of the wall. There are some products you can put on the face of the bricks but the water is…

14/05/2024
Build Basement for car parking - Sydney

Building A New House

You could be looking at anywhere between $400,000 to $800,000 depending on so many variables including: 1. Site conditions - what material is being excavated 2.…

3/11/2023
How hot/cold does a sunroom get?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Depends how much direct sun it gets. Is there any shading (eaves or trees)? If the sun hits a window directly it doesn't matter too much if it's double or single…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum