Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Fencing Question

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I'm currently building with a volume builder. They have told me that I can't have anyone do any works on the property / house before handover. But I'm wondering if the same applies to fencing? One neighbour is keen to go, his house is nearly finished too, but the other 2 sides are still vacant. Ive asked my CSO, but she just says no to cover her ***. Whats the worst case if they rock up on a Monday and there is a fence?
Why not get a ruling from your local Council?
You should be able to get boundary fences done, just not fences between the house and boundary (ie fencing off your front yard from your back).

It would be rediculous if your builder made your neighbour wait.

Definitely check with council as mentioned above, I'm sure you wont have any issues
If your neighbour wants a fence, they're entitled to have one built and the only parties they need to consult are the owners of the neighbouring properties. It has nothing to do with your builder at all and you don't need their permission. It isn't even on your property, technically it's on the boundary....

Builders work on new estates all the time where neighbouring blocks have fences erected during the build, so they're all used to it.

Think about it - why should the neighbour be inconvenienced because a house next door isn't finished? They may have small children or pets that they need to keep safe in their yard.
Thanks guys,

To be more direct in my question. All 3 neighbours have signed off on my quote, so that isn't an issue. None of them will be ready before my house (2 still haven't even started, and the 3rd is about 3 weeks behind me). I have a fencer that has time to do the work next week. What are the implications of me telling my fencer to go for it? Can the builder kick them off site? Will they stop work (only a few weeks left of work), will they just send me an angry letter? etc etc.

I could wait till handover, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be so much easier if it was just done now!

Milesy.
Technically speaking you need to check your contract, as the fencer would need to enter the site to conduct the work.
But realistically forget your CSO they will always say no, if you have contact with your SS ask them if they have any works scheduled which would be effected by the fencer coming in.
If your only a few weeks from handover and your bricks have been cleaned etc, the vast majority of the work should be interior in any case, so your fencer shouldn't get in the way of any other tradies on site.
Our SS quite often said yes, and our admin girl would say no. We'd rather listen to our SS who was onsite, rather than the admin girl who had no idea what our site looked like
Thanks guys, I've already left a message with the SS, waiting to hear back. All the external stuff is done, they are doing the last bit of the tiles and the electrical fit off at the moment. Really shouldn't be a problem.
Quote:
None of them will be ready before my house (2 still haven't even started, and the 3rd is about 3 weeks behind me).

Are they not worried the fence may get damaged during construction?
Just to finish off this thread. My SS has given me the green light. Just need to give him a week to clean up the yard. Thats fair.

Quote:
Are they not worried the fence may get damaged during construction?

I guess its a possibility, but all 3 side will be up for them before they commence building, so thtas something they will have to worry about then.
Related
25/09/2023
Invisible Channel Fix Glass Fencing

Pools & Spas

Need to remove glass panel out of concrete without wrecking the glass to get the spa room in, any recommendations on how to do that. Thank you

20/10/2023
Contact information for fencing

Landscape & Garden Design

We are at the stage on our build in Kilcoy, Queensland where we need to get our fencing installed but we cant get any contact details for our neighbours to give them…

16/05/2024
Copper log fencing

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all. Looking to do a 5 acre property fencing with 100mm copper logs fencing. 200mm ends. Land is sloping an hard to get machinery in. My question is. If I do the holes…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum