Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

certification needed to replace balcony handrails + awning?

Page 1 of 1
Hi there - do you need council approval/building certification (not sure what the correct term is) to replace handrails on a balcony? We have 2 balconies - (one also has a staircase) that we want the handrails replaced on - and just wondering if we need the whole council approval thing done. Both are more than 1m above ground level. Also one has a very simple sun awning that we're relpacing with colourbond (no guttering as it's so small).

What do you think? I rang the BCC and they said that a building certifier would be able to tell us but I thought I'd ask here first!
I would say that as they are a replacement, definitely not. But you must comply with the standards today when you replace.

Ed
The NCC does not require guttering, only the performance provision that storm water doesn't cause a nuisance to neighbouring properties.

The 3 Part National Construction Code can be downloaded free of charge, drainage can be found in Part 2 under 3.1.3.

You must however always check for State variations in the NCC appendix and local council NCC overrides.
hollie1978
.... I rang the BCC and they said that a building certifier would be able to tell us but I thought I'd ask here first!

Here's the catch they will need to visit and measure the height and LOL, "Kick the wheels" that's going to cost you
If you believe it's a structural Issue you will need an engineer
OT, Commercial and Industrial application ie. rails/balustrades must be designed and certified by engineers
Balcony handrails and stair balustrading are a safety issue as is a roofed structure. You may get some free advice from your councils building surveyor if you ask nicely. also as ECOECO says, a renewal may require compliance with the current standards.
Related
29/03/2024
Certification for glazing and aluminium window/door frames

Windows & Doors

For your reference Performance Labels: Window assemblies in housing, except timber windows, must be labelled so the label can be seen when it is in situ. For timber…

16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

6/06/2024
Awning window winder replacement

Windows & Doors

We recently bought a 5 year old ground floor unit which has A&L windows throughout. For some reason the only the bedroom windows are Awning windows which have been very…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum