Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Placement of outside tap

Page 1 of 1
We are at the final stages of our renovation adn the builder has just told us we cant have our outside tap where we want it (to one side of the rear deck). He said it has to go in the centre of the deck cause it has to go over the sewer line. Is this correct? Surely it wouldnt be hard to have the tap sitting to one side of the deck 4 metres to the left of where he said it has to go? He said something about regulations, but I'm just not sure. Any help would be really appreciated
So thankyou to the wonderful staff at the Plumbing Commission I have my answer. There are NO regulations on where you can have your outside tap! The ONLY regulation is that you have to have a gully trap. Which the builder never asked us on the placement of such gully trap....
Mmmmm that's interesting...are you in NSW brljack? The reason I ask is that we have two outside taps and no gully traps in sight
You need a gully tap. That is, a tap above the gully. (The gully is just a drain connected to the sewer that is lower than your house slab (by 150 mm!). This way if the sewer blocks downstream of you, rather than the upstream flow of swerage coming out of your internal fixture, it comes out of the gully. The reason a tap is over the gully is to keep it charged. That is, keep water in the s-bend. If you don't have water in your s-bend then any sewerage gases will vent out - not a pleasant thing to have.
Nope, we have no gully traps under our taps either. And we have three outside taps, one installed by the builder in their standard location and two extra we had a plumber add after the build was complete....

I don't think the gully trap has to be installed under a tap - ours is at the back of the house, all on its lonesome. Traditionally, they were placed under taps - ours was at the old place - but we don't have any issues with gas or smells here, and most houses seem to be built this way now.
My plumber's been ****** to me
kek
Nope, we have no gully traps under our taps either.

Ditto here, the two taps on the house go directly onto the concrete by the house and the third is in the corner next to the water meter.
Casa2

This is a snippet of the conversation between Casa 2 and the plumber
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7qqkHOjue8
Fu Manchu
Casa2

This is a snippet of the conversation between Casa 2 and the plumber
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7qqkHOjue8

Yep, that's exactly how it happened when I found out the plumber had * to me.

I wonder about the logic of the plumber's explanation anyway - having a tap placed above the gully trap doesn't guarantee that water will be run into the drain on a regular basis. Or at all. The tap may not be used, or it may be permanently connected to a hose or fixed watering system, which would mean that water never reaches the gully trap.

It sounded good in theory.... Perhaps it used to be so, but sewers and drains are constructed differently now, doing away with the need for the tap?

I have no idea what I'm talking about here, just thinking out loud.
Related
18/08/2023
Tv Fireplace placement in large lounge room

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, My first post, we are building a house and can’t decide the layout of the lounge room. We have a large N/W facing window and are wanting to have a wood slow…

10/09/2023
Laundry door placement v split level stairs

Windows & Doors

Move your linen into laundry and access laundry from your present linen space

28/05/2024
Builder asking money outside contract

Building A New House

Yeah sorry man, thats always been my fear during this first time build.. we have literally just hit lockup as-well, so ive been praying for no issues. Our mortgage /…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum