Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

any reason on two story house plan rejected by city council?

Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone,

I am currently looking for an old house to buy then knock down and rebuild a new two-story house (a single family home) in Melbourne South East established suburb. As far as I know, local city council will look into my new building plan to remove any privacy issues with neighbours, for example, installing high windows on the sides facing directly into neighbour's backyard, no overshadow etc..

Did anyone have any experience in the past that local city council didn't approve two-story house building and only allow a single-story house?

thanks heaps
How long is a piece of string. Each council and shire has its own regulations. It also must comply with RESCODE unless there are common provisions that over-ride these. Either way your council planning office should be able to provide you with information.
make sure there are no convenient on the land restricting two story houses.
^^^ probably mean covenants?

look at the neighbours (neighbourhood) and what they have - generally gives you a good idea of what is allowed
I checked the section 32 and couldn't find any restriction related to two-story building.

I also walked around that area last night. There is one two-story house plus one two story town house next to the one I am interested in on the same stree...

Based on that, I suppose I can build two-story family home??? thanks
You can look up the planning overlays etc for the property here: http://www.land.vic.gov.au/land/lcnlc2.nsf/Home+Page/Land+Channel~Home+Page?open

I think your Section 32 should include all the info, but there may be something....
Unless it is a heritage area it is unusual for council to disallow a double storey just because it is a double storey. If there are restrictions they will be documented and if you contact the council they will be able to tell you. Just make sure you keep a record of who you are speaking to for future reference.
The size of the land can be an issue too. In Port Phillip, if the land is over 500sm you don't need planning permission for a single dwelling (including double storey). You just need a building permit, which requires compliance with provisions basically the same as those in rescode from what I can gather (privacy of neighbours, setbacks, etc)
Related
20/04/2024
Gas Abolishment - Brisbane city council

General Discussion

Thanks for your advice, I will reach out to ombudsman

8/02/2024
Is this a terrible reason to owner build...

Owner Builder Forum

Waiting for the interest rates to go down is also waiting for the building prices to go up, you will likely lose. Perhaps you can get the builder to lock up stage, but…

28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum