Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Having the wool pulled over your eyes

Page 1 of 1
I recently engaged a designer to prepare house plans for me after he told me the plans I already had were sub-standard. Unfortunately those plans were already 3/4 paid for. This designer offered to complete plans and was happy to absorb costs into tender by building company in which he worked for. Things went along fine & after a few months I was trusting of this person. Anyway we got to contract stage and he supplied me with a builders addendum with all the answers pre-circled and a HIA building contract. I was a little taken back as the contract looked a little short on specifics and he assured me everything was being done as per norm. Anyway my wife and I accepted the quote and signed over a deposit in excess of 10%? I had no reason not to trust this designer and the company he worked for have a good reputation. Unfortunately as I felt I had been rushed into signing the contract I made some inq's on the Dept of Fair Trading website only to find out 1) I was never supplied a Consumers Building Guide 2) I never received a Home Warranty Insurance Certificate and 3). I paid in excess of 5% deposit. Immediately alarm bells rang (probably should have rung earlier) and I was able to cancel my deposit. I have subsequently written a letter of complaint to the building company as I feel they are not privy to the actions of this employee (designer) who appears to be acting outside his authority. What I would like to know whether or not I should report this issue to the Dept of Fair Trading as there were tow clear breaches of law due to a failure of not following a process. To top it off this designer has requested I return all related drawings and copies of contracts...WHAT WOULD YOU DO.
forget it, move on, return the stuff...
Yeah your'e probably right Ed but its the principal of the whole thing not to mention the four months of time totally wasted with this git.
Related
24/08/2023
Devil in the eyes

General Discussion

Where ethics are absent, money takes center stage, turning business minds into puppeteers of moral decay.

17/06/2023
Modular above ground pool over Private Sewer line

General Discussion

Hi everyone, Looking for some advise. We are about to build an above ground pool in our backyard. There is a private sewer line running under the pool at 1.6m…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum