Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Ball park Quote for Home Extension

Page 1 of 1
Hello,

First post! Please be gentle if my pictures don't upload or this is the wrong place to post this

This a My wife and I just bought a house in North Brisbane and are looking to extend and renovate. We initially wanted to raise and build underneath but we have moved away from this idea.

The house is a three bedroom/one bathroom post war on concrete stumps with lounge/dining room & kitchen.

Here is the current layout:

And a rough idea of what we want to achieve after the renovation using a mid-range fitout.

Does anyone have any idea of costs & processes associated with such a task? We are pretty green with all this and don't really know where to start!
Are you renovating the existing components (bathroom, kitchen etc)?

If so, I think it would be somewhere around $350k but builders are way better to answer your question than little ol' me.
Do you know many extra square metres you'd be adding? I'm in Adelaide, adding 64sqm plus deck (kitchen, dining, family room), plus making some alterations to existing structure (moving kitchen to extension, putting in hall, built-in study and storage in it's place, plus turning laundry into bathroom). The cost estimate we got came back at $264k. I hope that helps. If you Google Archicentre costguide you'll be able to get some ballpark psm costs.

ETA: that estimate doesn't include appliances and heating/cooling.
Thanks for the quick responses.

Wow... that is more than I thought! I was another thread on raising and building underneath. Lots of people estimated that to be 100-150k. I was hoping for a similar cost!

I think we'd be adding about 85sqm with those rough plans...
Our house is a similar size to yours (approx 100m2). We phoned several companies that focus on rennovations such as Add Style, Summit Home Improvements, Dale Alcock etc, and told them we essentially wanted to duplicate the downstairs layout with an additional story. We were told it would cost around $350K! I suspect that building without putting on an additional story would cost less.

We are toying with additional designs that won't involve a second story, so I'd be keen to find out how you get on. Maybe e-mail your plans above to get some ballpark figures from reno companies in your state and see what sort of feedback you get.

Best of luck,
Chris
You'll probably find it's going to be more cost effective to knock down and rebuild rather than go through with that size extension.
Hi jonedwards80,

I was looking at a similar project to yours. same as someone above with about 100m2 or about 10sq.

To add 10sq or double our size was going to cost us $260k. That did not include any renovations to the existing house and where things were being ripped out and relocated it didn't include new fitting if they were no good. We were going to re use 3 windows and the builder would supply fittings to match existing (which were cheap plastic that were only there as we were going ti renovate and the old ones broke)

You should at least consider a knock down rebuild.

The worst part for me was I wanted 9ft ceilings and my choices were excavate the floor level of the new addition to allow the ceiling height to be even, have a step up in the middle of our new lounge room or stick with 8ft. Also you still have the trouble of maintaining all of your old fittings(taps, basins, hot water, heating etc...) and having some news ones that still look like the old ones.

Also the $260k didn't include flooring to living areas and we didn't get a garage. On top of that price we were also having to pay another $12-15k to excavate.`

Edit: forgot to add that our new place will only cost us about 5-10% more than the extension. We'll get 25sq living and 6sq garage/storage for the price of a 10sq ext. All up our total extra costs are storage of our furniture. We'll be staying with the Outlaws so we'll save a few $$ there, and it'll keep me focused on getting things organized quickly because we haven't move in with them yet and I think I already want to move out
Thanks for the advice guys. Though I am a little sad we probably won't have enough for what we want!!
Biff's 350 was a good guess, I'd even go as high as 450 that would take into account the reno of the rest of the place.

Trust me it adds up.
Nathan SteelFab
Trust me it adds up.

Don't we know it.
jonedwards80
Thanks for the advice guys. Though I am a little sad we probably won't have enough for what we want!!

Still, e-mail your plans to some companies. Who knows....you might get a nice surprise. Alternatively, you might get some other suggestions that may suit your needs while being more cost effective at the same time.
Yeah I am getting some people around today & tomorrow to do a proper on-site quotation.

Surely if I just say "what can you give me for $180k" they can come up with something or other...
So we had two builders come out. One did a quick run-through of ideas, etc and said about $130k to get it all done. The other was a lot more thorough and said around the $200k mark was more like it.

That being said, the plan is smaller now and has less changes in the original house
Related
8/11/2023
Kitchen Quote - What should be included?

Kitchen Corner

hey there! ๐Ÿ˜Š so, itโ€™s kinda common for standard drawer depths to be around 500mm since most cabinets use this size to fit the usual runners…

7/08/2023
Kitchen Quote advice please!

General Discussion

I was being kind to the builder. With the amount charged for the upgrade the builder is probably charging closer to 100% margin. There are a few variables as I…

29/08/2023
Sandstone crazy paving quote

Landscape & Garden Design

I had 28m2 of engineered pavers laid six months back and it was difficult to find someone not taking the pi$$. Internet suggested it should be $85-100/m2 to lay them.…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum