Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

I've stuffed up!!

Page 1 of 1
The penny's just dropped (I think
) and wondering if anyone can help me out here

Just moved back into our home after 9mths of rebuilding & loving everything we've done EXCEPT for one thing

I designed this little nook in my kitchen before you walk thru to the laundry - it's my own small 'office' space with a couple of overheads for my bookwork

We've been back nearly 3 weeks & my laptop connection keeps dropping out every few minutes - it's driving me insane
Tonight I bought the laptop into the living area (out in the open) and it hasn't missed a beat

So I'm thinking it may be the overheads
Thoughts anyone?

Jazz
I doubt it would be the overheads... but why don't you try turning them off and seeing how long your connection stays up (I'm assuming you're talking about a wireless network).
Copper pipe plays havoc with wireless connections, so you should try to avoid proximity to, or in a direct line between, your router, PC and any hot water pipes.
You can get a remote signal booster/antennas.

Depends on your setup and if it is a wireless router/modem, or just a usb wireless modem.
Sounds like you are in a marginal coverage area, possibly by simply have the laptop in the location is making the difference between having coverage and not having coverage.

As suggested consider using an external antenna attached and see if this make an improvement.

Also what network r you using and which suburb are you located.
borg
Sounds like you are in a marginal coverage area, possibly by simply have the laptop in the location is making the difference between having coverage and not having coverage.

As suggested consider using an external antenna attached and see if this make an improvement.

Also what network r you using and which suburb are you located.

Thanks everyone for replies

I'm with 3, live in Williamstown Victoria - using a USB stick. I got the USB because we moved out for 9mths while rebuilding & it's been excellent ... until now

3 is the only service that gets good reception down in our pocket where we live - other providers have been useless! Got sick of running out the backyard standing on one leg

Do I go to a 3 shop for an antenna? Can't ask my DH - he doesn't know how to turn a computer on

Jazz
Yes a lot of carriers struggle to build new phone sites in Williamson. It seems many people protest against them.
borg
Yes a lot of carriers struggle to build new phone sites in Williamson. It seems many people protest against them.

Unreal hey! I for one would welcome decent reception down here - we're only 15mts out of the CBD, seems rediculous - could be a matter of life or death
Bit dramatic but you get my gist

Jazz
Hi all you could get a 3g modem router. Then use the wireless from it to you lappy.

3g > Router > 802.x wireless>Computer.

This way you can put the 3g device where the reception is good and you laptop in its hidie hole

Frank
Just thought I would add that an antenna only costs about $30. I sell them at work (I work for 3
)
flagstaffIV
Just thought I would add that an antenna only costs about $30. I sell them at work (I work for 3
)

Oh righteo ..... thanks

For some reason the connection wasn't as erratic yesterday for some reason, but think I will get an antenna just the same .....thanks again everyone

Jazzie
Related
You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum