Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Gutter guard recommendations?

Page 1 of 1
It's turning out to be a lot of work to clean the gutters at our place. Figured it's probably best to look into getting some type of gutter guard. Anyone have any recommendations on type and/or installation in Sydney (upper north shore)? TIA

Judie
Hi Judie,
We have a metal roof.
What I have done (during construction when possible, but I have retro-fitted aswell) is buy some stainless steel fry wire at the hardware store. I cut a strip wide enough for it to reach from the first batten to over the gutter. If installing during construction I nail it along the batten before the roof is laid. If retrofitting I lift the end of the sheet and slip it between the batten and the sheet. Then it just hangs over the guttering.
Lastly I use a small angle (same colour as the guter) to "sandwich" the fly-wire at the nose of the gutter (pop-riveted on). Lastly just trim the excess wire to make it neat.
Please see the diagram at this location:

http://www.restorationonline.com.au/pre ... -info-only

I hope this is not seen as advertising- I can't see how to add a photo other than linking to one. The mesh can be bought at any hardware store- bronze or stainless would be best.
We have had this on our buildings for 4 years now- under trees, and I just spent about 30 minutes cleaning up some build-up for the first time since it was installed. Compared to store-bought mesh it's a heck of a lot cheaper!
Cheers,
Dennis
Hey- well done with the photo! How did you do that??
Dennis
Right click on the internet image & select COPY IMAGE LOCATION.
Go back to your post & :
Select - Img button at the top of your reply post box.
You will then see this appear in your post : [img].[/img] (disregard the dot in the middle-that won't appear)

Paste the copied link in between those 2 Img boxes.

That's it!
Related
20/06/2023
Gutter cleaning tools for concrete tiled roof.

General Discussion

No, I even have sections of narrowness where the tiles won't slide up any further. When I manage some spare time, I might play around with the first DIY part of my…

16/02/2024
Fixing gutter capacity issue around patio

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

This is a very challenging situation, made much harder by not being on site. Firstly, I think that I originally…

24/02/2024
Surfmist tiled roof - unsure about gutter colour

General Discussion

Thank you so much. We ended going with the terrain that’s part of our brick.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum