Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

No Slab under edge of floor tiles - normal?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
After being in our house 2 years we have had an incident today which makes me scratch my head. We came home today to find that a photo frame had fallen off our wall and broken a couple of floor tiles. The worrying fact is that the tiles have revealed that there is around 40 - 50mm along the edge of the wall where there is no concrete slab underneath the tiles - the slab drops 30cm to the garage floor - basically the wall is sitting on the garage slab stepdown rather than the house slab

Is this standard practice? I am worried as the whole length of the wall has this void and they may break at any time - the impact was so light the glass on the photo didn't break.
Is there any recourse I can take against the builder this far after completion to rectify if this isn't allowable? They are a large multistate builder?

That is unbelievable!!! Not sure if it was bad luck the picture frame fell off the wall or good luck cos now you know about the problem. Sorry can't help your questions but wish you luck with getting it sorted.
Ooh, we are having the same problem with our build at the moment, but the slab is chipped under one of sliding doors, and it's certainly a worry. We have mentioned it numerous times, t both the office and site supervisor, and have told that it is filled before the flooring goes in. I'm assuming that's what they were supposed to do with your home, but didn't.

I'm assuming that under your tiles, it probably looks the same. It certainly isn't acceptable
i would take it up as far as possible, thats not right.
That aint right, they obvioulsy made a mistake when preparing the house slab.
Wow, that is pretty shocking. The amount of people who would have seen that and ignored it (or said something to their superiors and were ignored) is pretty bad.
If you think about it, everyone erecting the wall would have noticed it, probably the electrician putting in the wall socket, the plasterers, and finally the tiler, who would have known better and should have refused to do it. It's quite likely they did say something but were told "just do it".
Thanks Everyone,
Have emailed the nearest office of the builder after calling them, hopefully they will look at it.....

Regards
Simon
Not much progress building supervisor and tiler came around today, supervisor was pushing to have the tiler take off the 2 broken tiles and replace, doesn't want to so anything about the gap. Tiler kept very quiet.....
I would be getting the whole row removed slab filled then re tiled.
Edgecrusher
Not much progress building supervisor and tiler came around today, supervisor was pushing to have the tiler take off the 2 broken tiles and replace, doesn't want to so anything about the gap. Tiler kept very quiet.....

Glad to hear someone came to see about it. Hope you have a resolution fast. Borg is right, push hard to get them to fix it properly. Good luck.
Related
2/01/2024
Concrete roof tiles - is this normal?

General Discussion

Do you have solar on the roof, because if its not a laying defect it looks almost like someone has been walking all over the roof in the mid section of the tile (weakest…

13/09/2023
Slab edge Dampness

General Discussion

Quarter of it

27/08/2023
Sewer pipes under slab

General Discussion

Thanks that link in particular is really useful.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum