Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

New spa area & ferns

Page 1 of 1
We have just purchased a 6 person spa and are planning to have it under our full length rear verandah. We want to create a bit of an exotic, jungley type theme in the area around the spa and thought ferns would be a good place to start..

Can anyone tell me what sort of conditions ferns (potted) require - ie - sunlight, shade etc, as this will determine where we place the spa and bar..

Are there any alternative potted plants we could substitute for ferns to give such an effect??
Dont forget somewhere to put the bowl everyone throws their keys in!!
vanderlay
Dont forget somewhere to put the bowl everyone throws their keys in!!

Haha..It's not a bright red spa.. Although it does have a very funky LED light that can create "moods"

Anyway, seriously, they grow in shady spots with water around - we had a "fernery" at our old place - didnt get much sun at all.
Part shade-- southern /eastern/western.. but North may be too harsh.
Golden cane palm is another plant .. large ones are for $15 in Ikea. great price and you can keep them restricted in a pot.
not sure if ferns and palms mix well but certainly gives a troppo feel
I think you’re brave mentioning that word “exotic” again!!!!

I have found ferns to be a tad bit finicky if you don’t know what you’re doing with them.

Position for them would be, filtered morning sun, no harsh sun directly onto their leaves. ALL afternoon shade and they like to be kept moist….not dripping wet all the time

Check out this selection below, all will be suitable for your undercover area.

http://www.greendesign.com.au/floor_plants.htm
Related
11/09/2023
Building a Duplex on Sloping Block in a flood planning area

Building A New House

Give Jonathan a call. Tell him you know me. He is in my opinion the best surveyor I have ever worked with. His number is 0425 285 622 All the best Simeon

25/09/2023
Epoxy floors in living area

General Discussion

That would be great -Thank you.

17/03/2024
Any reputable custom builder in lake macquarie area

Building A New House

It is in lake macquarie area and dimensions are width 14 m and depth 8 m and the slope is 1/5 going down from the road.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum