Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Floor to ceiling bathroom tiles

Page 1 of 3
What are the advantages of floor to ceiling tiles in bathrooms?
I think it looks soo much better.

A plus would be when there is a lot of steam you don't get water running down the paint.
The finished look is much nicer I think, no need for repainting (except for the ceiling)
If you have sick kids with croup you can steam up the bathroom as much as needed without worrying about leaving water marks on painted walls
dkp

A lot more money

Edit: Nevertheless I find myself doing it now
i did it on three of the walls, just cos i liked the look. It was also easy for me because my ceilings aren't very high.
I just really like the look of it. We arent having it done by the builder, but the tiles we are having are readily available so might see if we can get the tiler to do a cash job for us. If he wont we may look at doing it after handover depending how much the endless other things end up costing us.
all the sand
I just really like the look of it. We arent having it done by the builder, but the tiles we are having are readily available so might see if we can get the tiler to do a cash job for us. If he wont we may look at doing it after handover depending how much the endless other things end up costing us.

I know a lot of people who have done this.
It gives it a more stylish look.
This is one thing that I regret about our build. I wish I had done this and wouldn't hesitate to do it in the next build (if there is one!).
We'll be doing it - mainly because its SO much easier to clean!
dkp

Toothpaste squirted all over the wall by enthusiastic five year olds is MUCH easier to clean off tiles!
do you have children???
Mine soak EVERYTHING. You wouldn't believe how many times a 5 year old can accidentally lose a handheld shower.
Much better on my tile than wallboard.
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Looks like floor to ceiling tiles in bathrooms are a worthwhile investment. We have decided on building with the Big M, and their current promotion includes 2.1 m high tiles. I guess it shouldn't cost a fortune to upgrade to ceiling high tiles...
dkp
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Looks like floor to ceiling tiles in bathrooms are a worthwhile investment. We have decided on building with the Big M, and their current promotion includes 2.1 m high tiles. I guess it shouldn't cost a fortune to upgrade to ceiling high tiles...

Well. Depends how you define "fortune". We upgraded bathrooms upstairs (two quite large baths) to have up to the ceiling tiling and the total cost was ~$5,000 - about 55% of it was labour.
Nothing! just spend more
Hey definatly a must I think the finish looks so much more classy and stylish you will be kicking yourself if you dont get it done.
On all four walls or just the three walls behind wet areas - bath, shower, basin?

Would it look odd to not then do it on the fourth wall?
nathanbudde
Hey definatly a must I think the finish looks so much more classy and stylish you will be kicking yourself if you dont get it done.

totally agree, i have finished both bathrooms in this manner...love the square stop finish.
I do to ceiling on all walls with a feature in the shower and if a big room another by the vanity. We renovate to rent so much cleaner and fresher looking after a longer period of time..
travelbug
I do to ceiling on all walls with a feature in the shower and if a big room another by the vanity. We renovate to rent so much cleaner and fresher looking after a longer period of time..

aaargghhh the "feature tile"....

Fantastic when it's done well, horrible even it's a little less than perfect.

I'm steering well clear, I'll pass on the suggestion to my better half though!
Related
29/01/2024
Do floor to ceiling tiles ad much resale value

Building A New House

They make the room much easier to clean for one, reflect more light (if light colour tiles are used), and you dont end up with dust on the top edge of tiles (cause most…

8/05/2024
Builder wants to build new ceiling over defective ceiling

Building A New House

Thank you @ashington Homes for your reply! They just got back to me and offered credit for me to just take it as is. It was a less than quotes I got from ceiling…

18/08/2023
Bathroom floor tile layout

Bathrooms and Laundry

Possibly both depending on the sizing. Idea of working from the centre is that you dont have a 20mm thin tile at one end and a 400mm at the other end. A quick search on…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum