Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Electricity connection Tasmania

Page 1 of 1
Hi
Not sure if anyone will have info on this one! We are building just out of Hobart on a rural block and the building site is about 450 metres from the road. We applied to the power company to get in indication of the cost of connection to electricity but apparently they can't tell us until we are ready to actually go ahead and put down a non-refundable deposit.
Would anyone have any idea of a per pole or per metre cost of connecting?
We just want a ballpark figure - it makes it very hard to start budgeting or considering other options (solar?) without any idea at all!
Thanks!
Our builder was allowing $2700 to connect about 100m from the house. Perhaps an electrician in your area might be able to give you a good idea.
Many years ago the rule of thumb in country areas was "$1000 per pole".
We had to get an approximate price for electricity connection for our block as it was all part of the solar rebate process. We hadn't started building and we definitely didn't have to put down a deposit. The power company (in Central Victoria) was happy to oblige.

Cheers,
Helen
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
We did ring some electricians but they weren't able to give us any pricing info unfortunately.
Glad to hear you were able to get a free quote Helen. We provided detailed info to Aurora (the power authority) and this is supposed to get you an indicative cost. However they said in our case they weren't able to as it was more complicated than normal.
Yes we did think of the stand alone solar option and it makes it hard to compare when you don't have any idea of the cost of connection to grid.
When I read a web page like this from Aurora

[url]New supply
If supply to your new premises involves the construction of new lines or substations, we will negotiate and agree on a date for connection. Please call us on 1300 13 7008.[/url]

and another tas govt web page
[url]Aurora Energy Pty Ltd
Aurora Energy Pty Ltd (Aurora) is responsible for the distribution and retailing of electricity throughout Tasmania. Aurora's goal is to be a highly customer-focused, world-class energy distributor and retailer.[/url]

So - maybe these pages will help with some options.
http://www.dier.tas.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/15622/Guidelines_and_Pre-Purchase_Application.pdf

http://www.wia.org.au/BPL/PLCBPL%20Trial%20in%20Hobart,%20Tasmania.php

And as you say - without a starting point - how can you consider other options.

Do you trust your govt at present ? Because as they own the power company - you need to - and from what I have seen - I wouldn't.
Steve
Yak_Chat
When I read a web page like this from Aurora

[url]New supply
If supply to your new premises involves the construction of new lines or substations, we will negotiate and agree on a date for connection. Please call us on 1300 13 7008.[/url]

and another tas govt web page
[url]Aurora Energy Pty Ltd
Aurora Energy Pty Ltd (Aurora) is responsible for the distribution and retailing of electricity throughout Tasmania. Aurora's goal is to be a highly customer-focused, world-class energy distributor and retailer.[/url]

I'm not quite sure what you're saying there sorry.

Yeah solar is one of the options I wanted to compare - it would really only be do-able for us if we got the rebate - we would want a reasonably large system, and in a cold climate your main power demand is likely to be winter when there's less solar power! We are not over 1km from the grid so on the face of it we wouldnt quality - depending possibly on cost of connection to grid. Which we don't know.....

I'm not sure how broadband over power line helps us until we sort out the actual power line?? Anyhoo I don't think it had gone any further than the trial at this point.

Yak_Chat
And as you say - without a starting point - how can you consider other options.

Yup.

Yak_Chat
Do you trust your govt at present ? Because as they own the power company - you need to - and from what I have seen - I wouldn't.
Steve

It looks like we don't have much option if we want grid power. If you're saying it might be a reason to avoid grid power well sure, it would be nice to be self sufficient in many ways!
Gee looks like the $1000 per pole days are long gone ...... we're looking at $20,000 and there are 5 poles....... plus
Then there's the tree trimming/removal costs, currently estimated at least $5000 ..... maybe $10,000
plus around $3000 for the last section to be underground, which apparently is cheaper than putting in another pole!
Quote:
Gee looks like the $1000 per pole days are long gone ...... we're looking at $20,000 and there are 5 poles....... plus
Then there's the tree trimming/removal costs, currently estimated at least $5000 ..... maybe $10,000
plus around $3000 for the last section to be underground, which apparently is cheaper than putting in another pole!

So you're looking at 20K+10K+3K = anyhting from $27k to $33K in my books - plus contingencies.

So if you put all of that towards a solar or combined solar and wind system (Check the frequency and hours of sun and wind in your area) - how much will that system cost you. What will it produce and got from there.

Sure you will need to be more considerate as to how you run your house, type fo lights appliances etc, but you will not have to pay power bills - but you will need to budget for new batteries every 10 to 15 years.

Your choice. and One that you do or don;t do now - becasue if you sepnd $30k on supplied power - it will be a long time before you can afford to do go with an alternative. Even if the power costs double - would you then change it?

Re my government comments - I was referring the corrupt tassie government and the Gunns pulp mill discussions that was going on (and has been for years) Do you still trust your state government? Will power osts stay as they are or will they increase in the future?

If you'd like a hand working out the numbers for a solar system let me know.

It's going to be more expensive to go solar - versus connecting power based on their estimated costs, but long term it might be a better option.

Steve
Yes as I mentioned we are considering the solar option for sure. Thanks for the offer of help! I'll keep you posted.
It really doesn't matter whether I trust the government or not - they just announced recently that power prices ARE going up

Coming from WA the power prices as they are were already a hike .....
Related
10/04/2024
Build experience - Trend Connection Homes

Building A New House

How has your experience been like so far?

22/12/2023
Water main connection

Building A New House

Hi all I'm currently building a duplex in Sydney and we need to do a new water connection to the second unit. The water main is on the other side of the road so we need…

1/06/2024
Water connection for New Build

Building A New House

I had to do this 2 weeks ago. I'm in Melbourne. The water company was Ok if moved upto 600 mm sideways. Any more than that and they wanted $$. The water meter connects…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum