Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Costa's Garden Odyssey on SBS

Page 1 of 1
That's SBS I mean

http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/costa/watch ... show/costa

This bloke Costa is a dead set legend!
He is all about the very things I am into and love.
It's is about time we saw someone who isn't afraid to get their hands dirty and do some "real" gardening and backyard landscaping projects. He isn't flogging junk you don't need and doesn't prey on peoples gardening ignorance. He's all about teaching us all how to be better gardeners but more importantly why we have to change! ( Part of some of the reasons you guys get me here
a bit of a crap trade off for you guys though
)

This blokes beard is something to die for! I bloody love it. He keeps all his shovels, car keys, seed packets, rakes, hose, plants in that beard of his!

I bet he even makes a beeping noise as he walks backward, then he just keeps unloading trees, plants, pavers and soils even from out of his beard once on site!

If you haven't watched it, I do recommend you watch a bit of cultured tv on SBS and tune in

Costa mate, if you are reading this, thanks for being on the telle teaching and inspiring Australians of the better ways to do things
This from the Age
Farah Farouque
September 17, 2009
Costa's Garden Odyssey
SBS One, 8pm

IN THE sea of vanilla that is television hosting — I am thinking of you, Karl Stefanovic — there are a very few exotic blooms. But gardening shows do sometimes produce them. Pre-eminent among them was former ABC gardening guru Peter Cundall.

His enthusiasm, seniority (he was on TV until he turned 80) and gaudy shirts were something to cherish among the square jaws, blow dries and faux sincerity of the medium at its mainstream. Since his departure, there has been a void.

Might the eponymous Costa, a colourful Bondi bloke of Greek heritage and a similar passion for cultivation, fill it? He's a fighting chance of becoming a cult figure based on this episode of his racy new SBS gardening series. He can certainly riff about all aspects of gardening but even better, he sports the most wild and woolly beard to grace a small screen outside a midday movie set in the middle ages.

Or at least a ZZ Top reunion concert. There's plenty of evocative social history thrown into the program. Tonight he visits a government housing estate where residents from different backgrounds are working their own plots in a community garden.

In a lovely vignette, he discovers two elderly gents — a Vietnamese refugee and a Lebanese migrant — who share a friendship and a mutual passion for gardening but can't communicate with each other as neither speaks each other's language. Although they do speak Costa's universal language of gardening.
Hey I caught a glimpse of that last night…not sure what I was watching.
Cursing from room to room…but what I saw was good!
Yep, we've watched this fuzzball about 4 times

We LOVE his show too - not just the gardening, the characters he hooks up with and the down to earth chit chat - yep, I can highly recommend Costa's Garden Odyssey
A nice change from the scripted hoo haa of the commercial channels

Jazzie
I either try to watch it or tape it but I can't get SBS here at my new h ouse till I have a proper antenna - he is very enthusiastic, I love it
darn first I've heard of it. I'll have to check it out. one of the downsides of not watching much tv is that you don't easily find out about these shows.

darn trying the watch on line option but it's refusing to load. getting stuck at 3 out of 4 bits. oh well another time.
Watched it for the first time last night. When we switched it on, DH's first comment was "Oh c'mon - sort yourself out'
Me, I was hooked.
buzz
I think I saw an ad sometime this week, looked interesting, wish I'd been paying attention, so it's on Thursdays?
Thursday 8pm.... after My Family Feast at 7.30pm which is also great
but I missed MFF last night
but that meant I got Costa
so next week I have both!!!!
Got a reminder on my calendar now.
If we still lived at our house, there is no way known we would have stumbled on Costa's show

My DH is a peanut with the remote AND foxtel, but since we moved out for renos and no foxtel here
it's been a goddam blessing

How much sport, news & wildlife can one man watch

Yeahhhh for Costa
BTW he likes Costa too

Jazzie
I wish I could grow a beard like that!

Mrs Manchu doesn't

If I ever meet this bloke, I will dead set buy him a beer
Must check out if he's wearing rope sandals
We caught the first show by accident and now are hooked!
he reminds me of a shorter and younger version of my dad

I love his enthusiasm.
I loved the show where he helped his dad out.
and Costa is all about biodynamics which is what I am always banging on to you guys about. Never feed the plant. Always feed the soil and then you can get off the garden products merry-go round
and your garden will flourish. Nothing new, just traditional gardening methods that have been removed hypnotically by decades of tv rubbish.
I love this guy too. But I wish he would cut the beard!!
Me too!
hve watched the last 4 or so episodes. How long has the program been going on?
makes me feel 'normal' as I am in a neighbourhood of sterile formal gardens.
Anyone watching vasili's garden on sundays 8 pm on channel 31?
unfortunately I do not get reception to this one
I you are talking about ch31 in Perth,
vpande
Me too!
hve watched the last 4 or so episodes. How long has the program been going on?
makes me feel 'normal' as I am in a neighbourhood of sterile formal gardens.
Anyone watching vasili's garden on sundays 8 pm on channel 31?
unfortunately I do not get reception to this one
sorry to let you know that it is dead due to lack of funds.

Maggie
Look Out Folks!

He's back

I can really relate to this blokes passion

I just wish I could grow a beard that bloody good too

Pencil it in on the calendar.

Have a quick watch of the series trailer. Some exciting stuff ahead

Even if you've never seen this bloke or care much for growing your own food. Please just watch one episode and see if you feel the same way after it
Do it for me

http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/costa/about ... ming-Soon/
next Thursday folks

8pm SBS 1
Related
1/03/2024
Native garden plans

Landscape & Garden Design

Fig Landscapes has produced an e-book and native plant index, available for purchase from their website. It's a great resource, full of inspiration and tips. Another…

27/03/2024
Vertical Garden Kitchen splash back design

General Discussion

Our Bondi Greenwall was impressive from day one with advanced lush plants to provide a wow factor to this recently renovated living area. The boundary was less than 1…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum