Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

House being built behind us - concerned about height

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Was wondering if you could give me some info. We've just received a notice from the council re our rear neighbours building a house and applying for a building permit.

Their house will be 8.15m from ground level...what is the normal height for a two storey house? I'm assuming this is above the average as otherwise we wouldn't have been notified...

We have views to our rear (sloping block so they are a bit below us) and are concerned that their house will block part of our views...

Thanks in advance!!!
I don't know what the regulations are, but I feel for you. We have a 2 storey being built behind us and we're not happy Jan! grrr.
I had hoped that the houses in our street would all be single story, and so far they are *fingers crossed* There's just the people next to us, and the ones behind who havent started yet

Google says 5.5-6m not including roof (I have no idea if this is accurate)

As for regulations, I assume they are allowed to do this if noone objects? And they would be bound by the normal regulations in regards to window sizes and placements which overlook a neighbours property.

At that height, I assume they're raising their house? Our current house is very high - It's raised 1m off the ground
We're in the process of building a two story, and based upon our plans, our home is just a fraction over 8m tall. Keep in mind, that's to the tallest point of our home. I believe council stipulates the maximum height allowed, and would assume it is different within each.
Thanks for the replies so far. Apparently anything below 7.5 metres does not require a planning permit so this house is above a standard 2 storey house size. Will investigate my options...
Depends on the council Ipswich in Qld was 8.5 above natural ground level. Our neighbours house is 9m above natural ground and they didn't need our permission.

Cheers Lou
Check the DCP. In my place the maximum height is 9 metres for a double storey building. The Council will ALWAYS notify neighbours about any building activity that requires a DA. The possibility to have something beyond the stipulated limits is very low so it is quite likely that your neighbour's building is within the limits. I do not really see which options you have beyond what's stipulated in development controls applicable to your area
We also recieved a letter from the council stating the our neighbour has applied for a permit for a 2 story. We actually called the building commission and asked where we could get the building regaulations. And they told me to go to the below website. I have actually attached the building reulations document. This is the complete document of the Building regulations.

http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domin ... 8sr012.pdf

It may or may not help
Related
26/03/2024
House movement to be concerned about?

General Discussion

House movement is always a potential problem and there is a cause. Yes you should have it inspected by a competent and experienced building consultant

14/03/2024
Junk left behind in an old house

Old Home Restoration / Renovation

Hi, just discovered all these junks left behind under the floor. Could any of these be asbestos? Best to leave as it is or clean up? Thank you for your thoughts

4/05/2024
Thickening a wall with two different types of walls behind

General Discussion

I might be misunderstanding.... but I would be more inclined to cut a section out from the cinder block wall and place the cistern in the cinder block wall. Very messy job…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum