Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Swimming Pool Coping Issue

Page 1 of 1
Hi All

Hope you can help,

We have just done a pool inspection on a property we have put under contract and the pool report came back with the below in regards to the coping around the pool. As the pool is only 2 years old is this of major concern. The inspector basically covered himself (as you would) and said it could become an issue but didnt specify how. The pool builder said it is not under warranty as it is not a structual issue more cosmetic. It is visable in more places than others but not unsightly. My concern is that the pool is only 2 years old and this has started already. Any experience or ideas would be appreciated.

Inspection report stated -
There are a number of sections of coping that are lifting from the pool shell.
The most obvious areas are around the small spa pool attached to the main
pool.
It is recommended that the pool builder who built the pool or a pool renovator be
consulted to quote on repairing the problem
Is it fibreglass?
onc_artisan
Is it fibreglass?

Thanks, no its concrete with pebblestone.
Someone used a none-flexi adhesive.
No biggy, just take it off and replace it.
aside - Is there much of a gap between the coping tiles? ( existing)
onc_artisan
Someone used a none-flexi adhesive.
No biggy, just take it off and replace it.
aside - Is there much of a gap between the coping tiles? ( existing)

Thanks again, just to explain without photos. The pavers seem fine, but about 1.5 inchs below the pavers in the pebblecrete there are long cracks but are small in width but cracks none the less. On one of the corners there are cracks that seem to head on angle toward the bottom which are more obvious and numerous. Does this help?
sounds like, and i could be wrong the copers were installed on a thick mortar bed before pebble mix and the pebble mix was installed over the mortar. there should be control joints in the coping (silicone joints instead of grout) the mortar may have been green so it shrunk and pebblemix cracked or the wrong type of mortar mix was used and has reacted with the salt/chlorine and may be degrading or may have shrunk. either way the pool builder has a 7 yr builders warranty insurance on it, maybe get it inspected by a pool renovation company etc for there opinion
^^ back to the pool company and tell them you want it fixed under warranty...
No skin off their noses

Or go to fair trading.
Thanks All

The builder said it wasnt structual and normal wear and tear and has a clause in the warranty to get around it.
However the vendor has done the right thing and got an independant inspector and he said what was posted by you which is the coping is failing due to the installation issues. They are going to fix it by pulling the pavers up, re coping and then tiling over the top. A good result all round as we terminated the contract this morning and the real estate was not happy. I called the vendor direct to apologise and we sorted it all out in 20min very amicably. I wish it could be this easy all the time.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated
Related
31/01/2024
Is swimming pool cost effective to add value to new build?

Building A New House

The last home I lived in didn't have a pool and when i went to sell it the agents were not happy, even telling me to put one in to sell the place. The agents weren't happy…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum