Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

pergolas

Page 1 of 1
I am looking at building a pergola off the side of my home. I am getting conflicting info from authorities about whether permits, if any, are required. The pergola will be about 10m2
Generally any attached roof structure requires a permit though regs vary council to council. Ring your local one they are your best to advise
Can depend on what type of roofing you'll have on it. Some councils dont require permits if you choose shade cloth... but you must have a permit if you choose perspex etc...

Get confirmation from your local council. You will find the info on their website.
It might help if you go into your profile and enter your location, as these things can vary from location to location. Does your council have a website, maybe the people giving you the conflicting advice could tell you where you can read the guidelines for yourself? When we had our old pergola replaced we needed approval because, if I remember correctly, the structure was above a certain height, and the new pergola was larger than the structure it was replacing.
We built 2 pergolas at our old address and one at this address - we certainly needed permits for them all, our council requires permits for all and any pergolas
I don't know where you're located, but if you're anywhere in Vic, this is the deal (from the Building Commission's website):

Schedule 8 of the Regulations describes buildings, structures and building work that do not require a building or occupancy permit to be issued.

Exemptions from the building permit system include:

Pergolas (open structure that is unroofed but may have a covering of open weave permeable material), providing the pergola:
- is not more than 3.6m in height; and
- is not more than 20m2 in area; and
- is located no further forward on the allotment than the front wall of the building to which it is appurtenant; or
- is located no further forward than 2.5m of the front wall of the single dwelling to which it is appurtenant.

You also need to make sure you're not building on an easement - a permit would be required for that.

Small to medium pergolas are no drama, no authority is very interested in them. But basically, if you put a roof on it, it's classified as a verandah, and a different set of rules apply.

Council websites are useless. They wouldn't know good web design if it jumped up and bit them on the you-know-what.
Are you doing it yourself or through a builder? We used a company and they applied for all permits and insurance. Large structures attached to your house will need a building permit.
Related
You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum