Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Cost per square to build in Tasmania

Page 1 of 1
Does anyone know how much it costs to build a house/unit in Tassie? I have looked at how cheap it is on the mainland but we always seem to have to pay more for anything here.
A couple of years back one builder in northern Tas quoted me roughly $10,000. He happily admitted prices were up to 20 per cent more than the mainland.

I asked why this was so since we have cheap and abundant wood supplies, and lower than average wages. He had no reply. I suspect that like many things here the small market and limited competition means you get gouged.

I like to try and support local business, but for almost everything other than food I buy online and get it couriered. I can buy retail in Queensland, pay for insurance and shipping and still get things up to 25% cheaper. When more Tasmanians catch on to this I think local businesses here will get a very overdue awakening.

Not an option with houses though
Thanks cabinfever,
I am looking at building - a small (7.5 squares) not necessarily a green home, but want double glazing, concrete floors (polished), water tanks & grey water system, north facing, etc. etc.
Thought I might go with a kit home builder who will build to my specs.

THe home is small but there is only me and I like the idea of a big garden with the vegie plot, and some self sufficiency.
Not a greeny just looking at ways to look after myself in retirement.
Cheers,
Caromac
There is a specialty cabin builder down here that does exactly that sort of thing... kiychen/living bathroom downstairs and a loft bedroom; or an even more simple single level cabin. Can't remember their name though
Related
25/02/2024
Staged payment request BUT work not done as per contract

Building A New House

1) I had requested R6 ceiling insualtion batts, however I noticed that on some areas there are huge gaps which will allow hot air to sweep in, and also noticed black/grey…

5/11/2023
Building a 39 square house in Schofields Sydney

General Discussion

No idea about the driveway question, but your price for a house that size including landscaping seems very good!

31/01/2024
Is swimming pool cost effective to add value to new build?

Building A New House

The last home I lived in didn't have a pool and when i went to sell it the agents were not happy, even telling me to put one in to sell the place. The agents weren't happy…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum