Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

LPG bottle inside kitchen cabinet ?

Page 1 of 2
In my friend's kitchen, he connected a gas cooktop to a 9kg LPG bottle sitting inside the cabinets. Is this legal in NSW ? Even if it is, do you recommend it in regards to safety ?

I'm thinking of doing so if safe. Putting the LPG outside the wall is not feasible on that side of my house. Hoping for a few qualified opinions...

thanks heaps
Im pretty sure it has to be in a well ventilated area.

Andy
I just looked it up, Australian standards say the use/storage of LPG bottles indoors should be avoided whenever possible but it is not acutally illegal. Local council regulations may apply though.

Australian Standard 1596-2002 S2.3 states that ‘The use and storage of cylinders of LP Gas indoors, whether full or nominally empty, should be avoided wherever practicable’.
We were told that our LPG bottles(used for gas cooktop) had to be located a certain distance from a window - don't remember whether it was 2 or 5 metres
. I assum from that, that they're not supposed to be fitted internally.

I wouldn't, regardless of the regulations
I can see that the danger would be if your bottle were to leak and the gas builds up inside your kitchen cupboards.....you can imagine the devastating result.

But in saying that we had lived in the shed for a year and a half, and our set up was a 9kg LPG bottle with a camping stove, but the bottle sat on the bench near the stove, not in a cupboard and of course it was always turned off after cooking. Add to that the fact that our shed wasn't very well draft sealed at all, so ventilation wasn't a concern either, besides the shed was relatively huge.

Maybe the easier solution for you would be to buy an electric cooktop? Alternatively can you look into getting the big cylinder plumbed in from whatever location is suitable? Or is the cost a big issue with that? I know in our place the location of the bottle is a fair way away from the kitchen. Mind you under the kitchen is a flexi hose thing and a shut off valve, at the moment I can smell a slight amount of gas if I leave the valve on so I'm shutting the valve off every time when I'm done with the stove. The connections are all tight so I guess maybe something wrong with the hose which I have to get checked out. So I guess either way you could get gas build up in your kitchen cupboards, but with a bottle under there you would end up with a bigger bang for sure.
I think the biggest risk is fire.... kitchen fires are pretty common (fat catching on fire in a frying pan, electrical fires etc) and I wouldn't like to have a gas bottle anywhere nearby if it did happen.
In a word, NO NO NO
Adrian B
In a word, NO NO NO

I don't want to be pedantic, but I believe that is three words...
We have a gas bottle on an outside wall and when a new delivery driver delivered our last bottle he told me that if we had a fire the insurance company would not honour our policy because it was too close to our house. We are in Sydney so you may want to investigate further. No way would we put the bottle inside.
joeygbh
Adrian B
In a word, NO NO NO

I don't want to be pedantic, but I believe that is three words...

I want to be pedantic. That is one word, but repeated.

As for LPG cylinders in the kitchen ... eek !
I'd be absolutely horrified.
Don't think I would be game to do that...
themax
Don't think I would be game to do that...
Me either!

That's insane! No way.
Surely you could pipe it to the nearest outside wall?
I have only ever seen them on an outside wall EVER!
Ok some good points have been made, in particular consideration for home and contents insurance and if it would be covered for a start.
Also the points about general safety and the fact that it's not in a ventilated area.

If you seriously are still considering the option also think about the pressure or flow rate that your stove requires, you would need to have the correct regulator on your gas bottle for that too, regardless of where the bottle is located.
If you HAVE to have one inside then I would be buying a gas detector from a boating or caravan shop.

I have seen the end results of a couple of gas explosions and they are not pretty, a cuboard of gas would have an explosive power equal to 2 or 3 sticks of gelignite.

The question to ask your friend is "if you had 3 sticks of gelignite in that cuboard, how well would you sleep at night ?"
D200 Doug
If you HAVE to have one inside then I would be buying a gas detector from a boating or caravan shop.

Great idea.
I tend to have good ideas about once a decade

I saw a gas detetor under a bed in a caravan I wondered about how it coped other escaping gases of a more "Natural" origin than LPG

PS I hope everyone have both Ionizing and Photo electric smoke detectors fitted and working in their homes ?

NAG NAG NAG !
I know obviously LPG is more flammable, but is it just as dangerous keeping flammable material in your pantry. i.e fly spay , spray oil, cleaner ect. Probable just as dangerous as the lpg when you think about it.
stefnmick
I know obviously LPG is more flammable, but is it just as dangerous keeping flammable material in your pantry. i.e fly spay , spray oil, cleaner ect. Probable just as dangerous as the lpg when you think about it.

There is far more chance of a leak from an LPG bottle and far mpre volume of gas
Not a good risk in my book.
Related
13/06/2023
Kitchen floors

Old Home Restoration / Renovation

Awesome, I can do that. Thanks mate.

14/06/2023
Gooseneck tap in front of kitchen window

Kitchen Corner

that will depend on the kitchen bench depth. you'll have to specify it so it allows for both the tap and the sink

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum