Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Fishing Line to hold Insulation batts?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, i wonder if anyone has had the experience of using fishing line to hold up insulation batts b4 the gyprock is installed? if so, what breaking strain f/line did u use and was it normal line or braided line... any info would be appreciated b4 i start.
thanxs tony
Are you installing your own insulation batts?
Yes I have used this method many moons ago, although more recently i have seen the "plastic" packing tape (as used on appliance boxes etc). I think this is a better method, and easier to staple. Dont know where to buy it though.
Just found this while looking around, it may help

http://www.bunnings.com.au/learn-how-to ... ation.aspx
would you need to hold them up if putting in a wall i thought they were meant to be a snug fit
under the floor definately we were going to use hoop iron as we had heaps left but i like the sound of packaging tape ill be on the lookout for scaps next time we are near a factory area or shopping centre
T&V
Hi all, i wonder if anyone has had the experience of using fishing line to hold up insulation batts b4 the gyprock is installed? if so, what breaking strain f/line did u use and was it normal line or braided line... any info would be appreciated b4 i start.
thanxs tony

Tony, I haven't done this, but I know a man who has. If you look on the website of Certainteed windows, www.certainteed.com.au, give the company owner Ross Wilson a ring. He is an energy efficiency advocate, and loves talking about insulation and other good stuff. He did just this in his own house.

JB
Hi all, thanxs for responses & good ideas, responses as follows:-
TimmyD - yes, the difficult area is in a raked ceiling which the gyprocker wants batts in b4 he starts, insulation retailer suggested f/line, i have d/brick walls, but have a vertical ceiling area. rest of ceiling is managable as it is flat.thanxs for other good link.
Ozberg- yes, would u believe the chap in fishing store had just done his & used "blue wovern plastic" packing tape...
Shelly the blue tape is certainly better than f/line cos its wider. i have c/raft floor so no worries there, u may also look at light weight wire netting for under floor - wouldn't be effected by weather?
JB i definately will use the tape. thanxs for other link, i'll repost once we have wrestled with this task for a day or so...
interestingly when i suggested to 2 insulation suppliers they give me 2 quotes on supply, other supply & install - they both ran a mile...not keen on raked ceilings!!!! when i mentioned main living area was raked, vertical then flat they both asked "who on earth designed that?" answer was Mrs V so nothing more was said, but i did get a very sympathetic look until i mentioned hard bit was that style around a 9m bay window - definately no quotes for installation then

all good fun, see if i think its so funny after 3 days up & down ladders....

thanxs again - cheers tony
Im not sure if this is possible but heres my 2c worth.
For vertical installation you could use a staple gun (for anchor points in wood and thin guage wire (could even use plastic sheet with staple gun). For raked ceiling could you use wall paper glue sprayed onto one side of insulation batts? Just some mad ideas that may just work
I'll use plastic straps from the brick packs, stapled with ss staples (if I can get them).

Chris
I have a box of packing tape sitting here doing nothing, i had planned to do the same thing and then the builder moved up the sheeting guys and didn't let me know...

So now i am building what i would call a rental. Never been so gutted with a company. Got the uneasy nod to DIY from one super to do it and then they change supers and they didn't tell each other that i had teed this up to happen.

My only advice to anyone is get it in writing that you are going to do it - i didn't thinking that a blokes word is good enough, it's not!!!
Hi all, did the rake ceiling today using polar batts & held up with "blue packaging" tape (1,000m for $37, 2 X boxes light fencing staples $4 each) put tape in at 3m lengths pulled tight & stapled, ran 6 lines for each run of batts starting at 75mm from each end and at approx 200mm intervals along length of batts, really pleased with the result, no sag, neat as a pin, will post up pics next week.
hope this helps others wrestling with raked ceilings..cheers tony
I'm guessing you could use this method for flat ceilings too.

Well done Tony.

JB
Hi JB, yes, i'm doing the same on the flat where the rake hits a verticle bulk head, drops 750mm then returns flat to the wall. but again this is only becos the entry is too shallow in the ceiling in part of the room. remember u don't have to do all this prep work if u can get to move around in the ceiling space. i'm a bit big and too old to crawl around in a 750mm space

cheers tony
Related
21/01/2024
Ceiling insulation batts distance

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Found the answer. The recommended distance is ....

12/09/2023
Can a variation dispute hold up handover?

Building A New House

yes it does, you've just not understood it. theres a difference.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum