Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Question about Carlisle/Brimbank Gardens

Page 1 of 2
Hi Guys

No, I haven't decided to switch houses/location, it is just another question for that gorgeous (:rolls:) brother of mine

Anyway he and his partner are almost 98% sure they want to build the Prominence 38 by Carlisle Homes in Brimbank Gardens.

They went to look at buying land today and most of the blocks were 14m x 34m regular in shape.

The Prominence is 12.51m wide x 20.14m. Does anyone know if this would fit on a 14m wide block given it is a double story and I am pretty sure would require a 1.8m side setback.

I suggested that they build on the boundary but they weren't sure if; Brimbank Gardens allows houses to be built on the boundary and if Carlisle will allow it.

Does anyone know if either is allowed? They are going to ring and ask tomorrow, but are dying to see if anyone knows the answer now?
well if you can build to boundary one side that only leaves 1.49m on the other side and you stated they need 1.8m setback.. so if I am understanding correctly then the answer would be no..

our estate you are allowed to build to boundary on the driveway side (ie garage) but other side must be 1.2m setback.
Thanks for replying

Yep I see what you mean about it still being less than 1.8m....I'm not sure if that is a standard rule, i just know it applied to us when we built our double story - this was in an established area though not an estate so i was wondering if the rules were any different??

The other option they have is to wait for another land release in Feb - there are a few 16m wide lots in this release but apparently it can be very hard to get a hold of.

I'm not familiar with estates/land releases but the lady was saying people camp out for the best blocks
I wasn't sure if Brimbank Gardens would draw this much attention but maybe they might have to grab the sleeping bags just in case
My guess would also be "No".
The setback is a standard issue across Melbourne, not just in established areas, it is a Rescode requirement that even new estates have to adhere to. I'm pretty sure that if they have such narrow lots for sale that they would at least allow for building to the boundary on the garage side...but this still wouldn't leave them with enough space on the other side.
And aside from this issue...what were they planning on doing to overcome the "fire/water/arguments in the house" problem???
Back to work for big sis!
our side setback only had to be 1.2 metres as well (garage side built to boundary) so he could be in with a chance ...
Grace - I'm actually the little sis
You are good for remembering the fire/water thing...they were going to ask if they can shift the sink either a little off centre or to the other side of the L shaped bench - they didn't think this would cause a huge problem....

I see what everyone means about the block width...I don't think it would be possible, I think they are better waiting for more blocks to be released and hopefully snagging a 16m one!
Well aren't you a good little Sis for helping out your big brother....it should be him looking out for you!
What about another estate...or are their hearts set on Brimbank?
And yes I worried when I read about the fire/water/arguments issue..lil' old superstitious me!
My kitchen will be exactly like what they are trying to avoid! Maybe I'll just have to ensure the oven is off when the tap goes on!
Hi Haywgl.

I'm not sure about the convenant in Brimbank Garden but where I'm building in Aurora Estate the set back for the side is 1m. The land is 14m x 30 and according to the siting plan the garage is on boundary and the other side is 1m.
Check on realestate.com.au you might find someone who brought a block but has had to sell it.
Thanks again for all your help

I told them to look for blocks for sale privately but they are a bit cautious about it...I think they want the fencing/landscaping too...

I am a good little sis, but my patience is wearing thin
Polo
Hi Haywgl.

I'm not sure about the convenant in Brimbank Garden but where I'm building in Aurora Estate the set back for the side is 1m. The land is 14m x 30 and according to the siting plan the garage is on boundary and the other side is 1m.

Is this with a double or single storey?
It's a pity this info never seems to be available on developers' websites. It would make life much easier for people on the hunt for the right block of land ....

Why can't they just have the covenants available as a downloadable file?

You could try a Google search - local councils often have all sorts of interesting things on the net if you can just strike the right combination of keywords in your search. It's never as easy as just looking it up on the council website.
kek

Why can't they just have the covenants available as a downloadable file?

Funny thing is PEET used to have them on their website in easy to read pdfs... really well done with diagrams. For some reason they took them all off?! I think its because they don't even know themselves what they want to enforce?!

The last time I saw the ones for Brimbank Gardens they strictly said side fences in front of the building line had to be black essendon tubular and now that we are moving in, everyone around us is colourbond!
haywgl
Thanks for replying

I'm not familiar with estates/land releases but the lady was saying people camp out for the best blocks
I wasn't sure if Brimbank Gardens would draw this much attention but maybe they might have to grab the sleeping bags just in case

haywgl, they may have to camp out overnight if they have a block of land that they really really want.

The lady told us the same thing so we went out there after work to investigate and to our surprise we found people camping out at 7pm in the evening. We ended up camping out of the office on a chilly September night.

There were plenty of lots left in the morning but the best ones were taken by us campers.
Thanks for the tip reaver
The lots are for sale on Saturday 14th February - so they might have to camp out on the Friday night. They are shift workers and knock off work around 10:30pm so they could drive past and see how many people are camping.

I don't think they care heaps about location more than the size, the lady said they are going to release the block sizes in the coming days on the website but so far we can't see anything online....they got the loan approved today for the land so that is a good thing
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all the useful information.

I camped out at Brimbank Gardens on a very cold night in July. I arrived at 10.30pm and was 5th in line. If I remember correctly there was only one more arrival before midnight and the rest starting arriving from 6am.

Good way to meet your future neighbours.

We put down a deposit on a block that was due to title this month however it is delayed until March. Fingers crossed on that one.

After a discouraging false start with Boutique Homes, we are now on our to taking up a PD offer on the Davenport 29 with a small extension.

Again thanks for a very informative forum
Cheers,
OutofAfrica
OutofAfrica
Hi Everyone,

I camped out at Brimbank Gardens on a very cold night in July. I arrived at 10.30pm and was 5th in line. If I remember correctly there was only one more arrival before midnight and the rest starting arriving from 6am.

Damn... with all the talk about Marriot waters and Alamanda I didn't think our estate would be so popular...
Hi Joeygbh,

It's a single story house
haywgl
The Prominence is 12.51m wide x 20.14m. Does anyone know if this would fit on a 14m wide block given it is a double story and I am pretty sure would require a 1.8m side setback.

I suggested that they build on the boundary but they weren't sure if; Brimbank Gardens allows houses to be built on the boundary and if Carlisle will allow it.

Situations like this are why we decided to choose our house before our land. Then we were armed with house plans every time we sat down with someone to say "show me how this house would fit on the block you are trying to sell me". If we didn't like the answer, we just walked away. If we did like the answer, we went back to M3tricon with the land dimensions and got them to put a plan together using that nifty perspective drawing software they have.

You can tell your brother to do the same thing--I'm sure Carlisle wants his business and so will not be averse to showing him how their home would fit on this block or that block.

--Mike
We did the same thing - looked at estates and ruled out those we hated, but picked the house before we seriously started looking for land. I asked the builder for the minimum land dimensions required to fit the house.

The block we finally found was an irregular shape and we just weren't sure - the developer's sales consultant was happy to fax the plan of subdivision to the builder's sales guys late on a Saturday afternoon, so they could do the siting for us. They worked overtime and she emailed me the site plan after 7:00 that evening showing how it would fit, as well as a full copy of the estate covenants, and we went back the next day and signed a contract of sale.

When you're paying big bucks, you have every right to expect them to work for you - if they want their commission, they'll go the extra mile.
Related
24/04/2024
Carlisle Building Experience

Building A New House

Carlisle use to sneak a water resistant "Performance Solution" into their contracts. Have you checked your contract for same?

31/01/2024
Enclosing the space above kitchen cabinets question

Kitchen Corner

You can really use anything you want the main consideration would be how it looks once painted/finished - or the look you want. Cabinetmakers use MDF because its cheap…

20/07/2023
Gable Extension Ideas and Question?

General Discussion

I would say both styles you have pictured are steel. The lower chord of the first pic would be a massive lump if made using timber considering the size of the rafters. If…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum