Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Removing rust from steel i beams

Page 1 of 1
Hi l have some steel i beams under my house with some light surface rust, the beams are not galvanized . My plan is to sand off the rust and then paint it directly with cold galvanized zinc paint . is that the correct way to do it and the correct paint to use? or should l use a different paint or a rust converter .
Jimbo did we not have the same question 3 months ago?
Pulse
Jimbo did we not have the same question 3 months ago?

yes but l am still undecided how l should treat the steel beams after l sand off the light surface rust, the beams are not galvanized, should l paint them with cold galvanized paint, or white knight rust quard primer, or not paint them at all buy just apply fish oil over them
If not in direct contact with water (like rain) and not in a moist environment (like over water) and provided there is good air circulation and provided it is only "light" surface rust and assuming it may take a few uncomfortable hours of sanding...... then I would not bother with sanding and just coat it with a couple of generous coats of fish oil. Use spray cans or if that is too expensive buy a can and paint on with a big paint brush.
gommeqld
If not in direct contact with water (like rain) and not in a moist environment (like over water) and provided there is good air circulation and provided it is only "light" surface rust and assuming it may take a few uncomfortable hours of sanding...... then I would not bother with sanding and just coat it with a couple of generous coats of fish oil. Use spray cans or if that is too expensive buy a can and paint on with a big paint brush.

thanks, yes they are dry , thats a good idea with fish oil as sanding will be hard
Related
8/01/2024
How should l remove rust from steel i beams

General Discussion

if l cannot get a sandblaster would a sander with sandpaper be better then a wire brush

21/01/2024
rust on house I Beams

General Discussion

THanks , l got a licensed building inspector to look at the rust, he said its just surface rust and it would take many years to become a problem because the beams are so…

7/03/2024
Best rust killer/converter for galvanized steel post

General Discussion

That just protects from further rust, l want first to apply a rust converter or rust killer to kill the rust thats there, whats the best one for galvanized steel

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum