Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Property Boundaries in New Estates

Page 1 of 1
Hey everyone! New to this forum so please go easy lol. We have just moved into the burbs in SE QLD in an estate that is stall managed by the state - ie i called the Sunshine Coast council and all they control is the garbage collection.

We are on a culdesac and the boundary is quite close to the house (red line). Has anyone ever applied to council (or other entity) and applied for a boundary extension? Otherwise it's quite a waste of land?? Maybe a stupid question but thought id ask anyway in case anyone ever had!

Current boundary is red line, like to extend to blue line.
You may be able to purchase it from council, but it will be market value. However, there may also be a reason that this has been retained. You may want to understand if there are services, easements or other reasons you may not want the land. If all clear you have to ask yourself what are you going to do with it? If its to improve (ie build on) it may be advantageous (pending planning approval you may never get). if its perhaps just t plant out and extend your garden, you may still be able to do this whout buying it at all. Check with the council what their policy is around nature strip beatification. They may have some minor restrictions you can work with if that's your goal.
Hey thanks Ponzutwo. Pretty much we just need more space for car parking, and for my sons jetski and tinny. I would rather have it behind a wall than on the grass where it is much easier to steal.
buildnfish
Hey thanks Ponzutwo. Pretty much we just need more space for car parking, and for my sons jetski and tinny. I would rather have it behind a wall than on the grass where it is much easier to steal.

before you go down that path you may also want to check if there are any covenants preventing you from storing suck thing in view of the street. High fences may also be out. Some pitfalls you need to checkf or before you spend the money
The setback from the kerb is 4m. It is council land to provide an area for services like sewer main, gas mains, water mains, underground power or poles for overhead power, public right of way for walking etc, future road widening. You will NEVER be permitted to purchase this area as once owned you could cut off the services through the land. You then have your blocks building setbacks 2.5m, 3m, 4.5m 6m etc, this area is your land but restrictions are put in-place on what can be built in this zone to protect against visual impact on the street, parking area within you land for parking etc etc.
Thankfully and lucky for you council do allow you to maintain the grass height so they don't have to mow it.
Related
24/03/2024
Purpose of site survey: boundaries, slope, trees? what else?

Owner Builder Forum

A survey must’ve completed by a certified surveyor. This form part of every DA requirement

3/09/2023
Can you build on both side fence boundaries (Victoria)?

General Discussion

Hey everyone Not for me or anyone I know, just generally interested. For a single allotment house, are you allowed to take the fence on both sides of your house and…

20/02/2024
Conveyancing & property inspectors for new home build?

Building A New House

If you are in Victoria you have a statutory right to your own building inspector regardless of builder's consent. No negotiations are required. However the builder will…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum