Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Black gloss enamel

Page 1 of 1
So... I'm painting some barndoors in black gloss.

I gave up on the aquanamel paint and moved to a oil based gloss enamel.

However, regardless of the application method (roller, roller and brush, paint gun) the paint has little bubbles form. Most pop as it dries, but some don't and being gloss and black, grey are ultra visible.

I've tried thick coats, barely there coats abd cant get it to dry smooth.

The best so far has been rolling, then laying off with a brush which pops these bubbles....but I walk away and more bubbles form. What is going on here?

Also I've looked at additives, but floetrol is for waterbased, penetrols australian version doesn't read the same as the American version, so unsure it's the same.

Anyone have any tips?
Penetrol fine

Could be trapping air/moisture, previous coat not drying out enough
Painting is a system, have you followed manufacturers instructions re, primer, undercoat and top coat? Also application of paint.
Painting in hot weather, especially black, could be causing skin to form before solvents are expelled, therefore gasses trapped causing bubbles.
building-expert
Painting is a system, have you followed manufacturers instructions re, primer, undercoat and top coat? Also application of paint.
Painting in hot weather, especially black, could be causing skin to form before solvents are expelled, therefore gasses trapped causing bubbles.

yep followed manufacturer instructions to the letter. Sadly the instructions didnt adress nuanced scenarios. In anycase, Ive solved the issue. Penetrol worked a charm, creating a longer open time for teh paint, allowing the bubbles to escape and application marks to self level. Meaning i could use a brush for the whole job with zero brush marks.
ponzutwo
So... I'm painting some barndoors in black gloss.

I gave up on the aquanamel paint and moved to a oil based gloss enamel.

However, regardless of the application method (roller, roller and brush, paint gun) the paint has little bubbles form. Most pop as it dries, but some don't and being gloss and black, grey are ultra visible.

I've tried thick coats, barely there coats abd cant get it to dry smooth.

The best so far has been rolling, then laying off with a brush which pops these bubbles....but I walk away and more bubbles form. What is going on here?

Also I've looked at additives, but floetrol is for waterbased, penetrols australian version doesn't read the same as the American version, so unsure it's the same.

Anyone have any tips?

This link might answer your question. I had the same issue and it turned out to be the roller.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/painti ... %20coating.
Related
2/01/2024
Enamel paints

General Discussion

The yellowing mainly occurs to white or very light colours.

3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House

The warning is on the sticker on the door too. Second the aluminium powdercoat

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum